Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Good Muay Thai/MMA School Reply with quote

Hey everybody,
I was wondering what should I look for in a Muay Thai school? I want to get into some competition and still be able to defend myself. What do you think of this school?
http://www.evolveohio.com/academyofmartialarts.htm
Does it look legitimate to you? Thanks for your time.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so nobody's sure what to think about this school but could someone tell me what I should look for in a good Muay Thai gym or instructor? Thanks.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important question is how authentic would you like your Muay Thai training to be. I have absolutely zero doubt that their Muay Thai instructor can kick-box. Within the confines of a Muay Thai fight, I have no doubt that he could be quite successful.
These facts, however, have little bearing on the quality of his "pure" Muay Thai instruction. There is no mention of him competing in Muay Thai, training under a Kru, spending time in Thailand, or even at the gym of a well known instructor on America. This means that while he can probably teach you how to "beat people up," he probably cannot teach you the "art" portion of this martial art.
So, the question is what are you looking for? Do you want an authentic Muay Thai experience where Thai words are used to name the techniques? Do you want to learn a Wai Kru, wear a Mongkol, and have pure Muay Thai technique? This would require someone with a good Muay Thai pedigree.
Or, perhaps, do you want to learn how to hit people with your feet, shins, knees, elbows, fists, and fight particularly well in the clinch? Perhaps you'd like to mix in the kicks of Tae Kwon Do, the punches of boxing, and learn how to move from a Thai clinch into a wrestler's clinch to utilize your judo. This requires someone with a good "fighting" pedigree.

Again, it's all about what you're looking for.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that's about as authentic as it gets around here. Evolve MMA usually has good reviews so I'll check it out but regardless I have a contusion in my foot and it hurts so bad lol no training for a little while.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Muay Thai school you found seems legit. I mean, every form has its ups and downs. It depends on what you're looking for. My advice would be to go observe classes at this martial art school.

AndrewSmith
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: I think I know two Muay Than school in Gold Coast Reply with quote

If you live in Gold Coast, AU You will find two school. I know both they are

http://kickboxing.net.au
http://www.fitnessenhancement.com

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always recommend my friend's, Kru Howard, but that wouldn't help you where you're from.

KingDiesel
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most important thing to look for in a MT school would be first of all do you like it, Next make sure it is muay thai and not just kickboxing, also look at the other students and see how there technique is if they are shoddy you might want to reconsider but always look for a comfortable match for you

things to make sure you are getting good muay thai as far as the fighting goes
1. a good muay thai school is going to push good Covering on each technique like the 3 points of cover on your punches covering on kicks knees and teeps
2. there will be lots of clinch drills after basics are covered
3. sparring not 100 percent all the time but technique sparring will be a part of your workouts regularly
4. this is a non fighting part you need to learn Wai kru, correct terminology

jovensky
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Muay Thai/MMA School Reply with quote

datguy wrote:
Hey everybody,
I was wondering what should I look for in a Muay Thai school? I want to get into some competition and still be able to defend myself. What do you think of this school?
http://www.evolveohio.com/academyofmartialarts.htm
Does it look legitimate to you? Thanks for your time.

As for me a good muay thai school trainers can equip you to be a discipline good fighter! Actually, it also depends on your performance and willingness...perhaps i can refer you to WAI KRU south shore!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: