Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Good Samaritan Gets Shot Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/25/us/louisiana-good-samaritan/index.html

Ignoring the fact that putting himself in harm's way was a bad idea, I'm not sure jumping on the car's hood was the best response.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like for every story like the Guy Mezger deal, there's one like this. Sad.

And yeah, jumping on the hood was most likely a bad idea in any case, but my thing is- what was he trying to accomplish? Should have let the guy have the car. But it's hard to say how I'd react to this situation. It would be hard to ignore someone screaming for help, and there's not time to think things through very well.

Kodakmint
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: American Freestyle Karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really sad

shadowspawn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to disagree with Pain here. I mean yes it may have been a dangerous idea to put himself in harm's way, but at least people who would put themselves in harm's way to try to stop a wrongdoer shows that there is at least some degree of chivalry left in our society and that there are people who aren't afraid to take action for what's right.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowspawn wrote:
I'd have to disagree with Pain here. I mean yes it may have been a dangerous idea to put himself in harm's way, but at least people who would put themselves in harm's way to try to stop a wrongdoer shows that there is at least some degree of chivalry left in our society and that there are people who aren't afraid to take action for what's right.

The thing is, I would be willing to die for family, or children. I might even risk my life to help a stranger in the moment, but once they are clear, I'm not willing to be shot for their car.

shadowspawn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even so, I personally don't believe they should be allowed to simply get away with it just because they have a gun. I mean if this were just a simple carjacking, I doubt that a $5000 bounty would be put on this guy's head and now he's going to have to answer to a murder charge as well when he gets caught. It's tragic, to say the least, that he died; but, at least his death wasn't in vain. It was for a good cause and, let's be honest, how many of us think that we'll die standing up for what we believe in when that time comes? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has deep respect for such martyrs.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the car complied and got out of the car. She was safe. A team of trained and armed police could have captured the carjacker much more safely later. The guy got shot in front of his children to prevent the carjacker from taking a car. Or did I miss something?

shadowspawn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
The owner of the car complied and got out of the car. She was safe. A team of trained and armed police could have captured the carjacker much more safely later. The guy got shot in front of his children to prevent the carjacker from taking a car. Or did I miss something?
They could have, but a carjacking isn't exactly a rarity. I doubt it would have gotten anywhere near as much publicity as something like this. Still, the guy shouldn't have been shot, yes and it's probably something I'd never do. The best way to defend oneself is to simply not be there. Putting yourself in harm's way is the direct opposite of self-defense. But I'm not going to lie and say that I don't have a great deal of respect for the man and his actions. I'm sure his kids, his family, and the bystanders would feel the same way.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between brave and stupid pretty much depends on whether or not someone dies. In this instance, the would-be hero died. We often discuss in self-defense scenarios, that to get to the point of being seriously injured, you've probably made a lot of mistakes. That's exactly what happened here.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="shadowspawn"]Even so, I personally don't believe they should be allowed to simply get away with it just because they have a gun. I mean if this were just a simple carjacking, I doubt that a $5000 bounty would be put on this guy's head and now he's going to have to answer to a murder charge as well when he gets caught. It's tragic, to say the least, that he died; but, at least his death wasn't in vain. It was for a good cause and, let's be honest, how many of us think that we'll die standing up for what we believe in when that time comes? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has deep respect for such martyrs.[/quote]

It really has more to do with the person; what they have planned for, what they have trained for, and what they are willing to do. In this sense, if I was already in a no-win situation, I am calling 911, maybe trying to follow the car at a safe pace and distance. If I am unarmed, and the man is obviously armed, then it is a no-win, and chivalry will honour him, but not save him. PS if he felt threatened (or dumb) enough to shoot, who is to say he does not shoot the woman in panic, causing this chivalrous man to end up on trial for involuntary manslaughter...
You have to be careful and mix common sense with a sense of self. You have to be able to make dangerous decisions in a flash if you want to be a good samaritan... and remember (and I live by this code, although I do step in more often than I probably should)...
'no good deed goes unpunished'...
You have to balance the risks, and weigh them carefully... this type of mental training goes along with trying to save people...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: