Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shanny_kimura
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kodokan Judo, ITF TaeKwonDo, Kyokushin Karate, Shotokan Karate, Kenpo Karate, Yoshinkan Aikido, Boxing, Muay-Thai & Wrestling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo IF its a good instructor and knows what he/she is doing. Why Judo, because there is no strikes and really safe for this age level. Also try Junior TaeKwonDo. Completely padded and it's really popular where I am at ! A lot of 5-8 year olds doing TKD good luck !
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

T3chnopsycho
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kimura Shukokai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of the posters before me. It depends on the instructor and the dojo itself.

Also a lot of martial art schools have programs specifically for kids. Maybe you could take a look for that. Five years is still very young but I think if the instructor is good then your son can do whatever style he likes (hard or soft doesn't matter)

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

MasutaDeKaba
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Tangsudo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the instructor. Personally, and not being biased I would say Wado-Ryu. I am Black Belt 3rd Dan at Wado and it easy to start off, not too hard, good for your 5 year old child. Anyway, your decision, hope you find our comments useful, and best of luck

FighterForLife
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
The teacher is more important than the style for this age group.

THIS!!!!

What will be most important, at his age, is that the school you choose has instructors that know how to keep kids involved and interested.

When he gets older, then you can worry about style.

And not to bring the thread to a dark place, but do a thorough background search on ALL the instructors who will have contact w/ your son. Odds are good everything will be fine, but there is no need to take chances.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FighterForLife wrote:

And not to bring the thread to a dark place, but do a thorough background search on ALL the instructors who will have contact w/ your son. Odds are good everything will be fine, but there is no need to take chances.

I couldn't agree more.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any serious instructor should happily show you their crb/dbs cert and may have done child protection awareness courses.
I'm going against the grain with the others - 5 year olds have no place in a proper dojo. They are in danger of turning into kids clubs, great if you can separate and have kids only classes but as i am teaching more i realise how much they disrupt the lesson. We end up being extended parents and lose valuable minutes controlling them while the rest have to wait.
Look out for some kids programs as they can be expensive or they add several gradings.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends massively on the teacher(s). At my old schools headquarters they ran might mites which was for 4 - 6 year olds, and was run by a good friend of mine (and was one of my teachers for a number of years).

Goju-Ryu Karate is really good as it has a combination of hard and soft techniques.

But i know a lot of kids that age have been doing Brazillian Jujitsu. as most schools run programs for kids that age.

FighterForLife
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
Any serious instructor should happily show you their crb/dbs cert and may have done child protection awareness courses.
I'm going against the grain with the others - 5 year olds have no place in a proper dojo. They are in danger of turning into kids clubs, great if you can separate and have kids only classes but as i am teaching more i realise how much they disrupt the lesson. We end up being extended parents and lose valuable minutes controlling them while the rest have to wait.
Look out for some kids programs as they can be expensive or they add several gradings.

I hear you - it is a double edged sword.

I, myself, as a child was a little snot in the dojo. Not mean, but I goofed around way too much and must have been distracting to the older and more serious students. I cringe when I think about how I used to behave.
Then again, if I hadn't been enrolled or if they kicked me out, I might never have grown up to love martial arts the way I do, and Kyokushin would have never gained this student.

My memory of how I used to behave, and my demeanor in the dojo now has helped me cultivate the first of my Martial Arts Maxims: "Have patience with kids in the dojo. You used to be that annoying, too".

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FighterForLife wrote:
mal103 wrote:

I, myself, as a child was a little snot in the dojo. Not mean, but I goofed around way too much and must have been distracting to the older and more serious students. I cringe when I think about how I used to behave.
Then again, if I hadn't been enrolled or if they kicked me out, I might never have grown up to love martial arts the way I do, and Kyokushin would have never gained this student.

My memory of how I used to behave, and my demeanor in the dojo now has helped me cultivate the first of my Martial Arts Maxims: "Have patience with kids in the dojo. You used to be that annoying, too".
Its tough to fit kids in at times, and not all of them will fit in. I do think its important for kids to have at least a few classes that are kids only, so they can be focused on as they should be, and not with and as the adults are all the time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
FighterForLife wrote:
mal103 wrote:

Its tough to fit kids in at times, and not all of them will fit in. I do think its important for kids to have at least a few classes that are kids only, so they can be focused on as they should be, and not with and as the adults are all the time.

Your bold type above is why I believe that kids make the better student. Kids are unassuming while adults aren't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: