Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: gracie combatives Reply with quote

Has anybody used the Gracie Combatives program here?

I had a look and believe it to be a fantastic addition to bjj training.
Has anyone in fact undergone the testing process and obtained the belt?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am not familiar with the combatives course. I have taken a few of the GRACIE defensive tactics courses for law enforcement. How long is the course, what does it entail, and what is the rank you come out with?

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link for more information.

http://www.gracieuniversity.com/Pages/Public/Course?enc=vsGdmSaTikLU4BRiE% 2fqMwA% 3d% 3d

I watched the content and samples of people's tests on YouTube, and regardless of what anyone thinks about video testing, I think it's wonderful for learning the fundamentals of JJ that can be used for self defense in the real world.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:

http://www.gracieuniversity.com/Pages/Public/Course?enc=vsGdmSaTikLU4BRiE% 2fqMwA% 3d% 3d

I watched the content and samples of people's tests on YouTube, and regardless of what anyone thinks about video testing, I think it's wonderful for learning the fundamentals of JJ that can be used for self defense in the real world.

Do you have to practice the techniques 'live' with a training partner? IF so then it could work but otherwise i doubt it.

I would liken it to an instructional dvd. Initially you can view a technique and be confident you know the sequence etc but un til you have tried it on a live resisting opponent then you don't really know where it will fall apart and are unlikely to be able to apply it. The more experience someone has then the more likely they are to be able to just apply the technique, since it is more than likely a modification of a technique they already know / another application of a principle they can already apply etc.

I can see how it would be useful to see how some things work but without pressure testing on a resisting opponent then i doubt it would be of any real use - indeed it might be dangerous as it leads to a false sense of confidence in a real situation.

It is possible to get to a good standard learning techniques from videos but you have to then drill them strongly against resisting opponents. My original BJJ coach (he is a legit BB) started out this way and attended as many seminars etc as he could with BJJ BB's to get input on the techniques etc and improve his skills. Is a tough road though and needs a lot of dedication and self awareness

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:

Per the webmaster, I'm not authorized to view. How rude.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: