Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

innocui
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Go-Kan Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: grades Reply with quote

If anyone experiences higher grades being disresfectful, i have something to make you feel better, one of my Senseis told me:
For a black tip to become a black belt, they must train like a black belt.
So, for someone to earn their next belt, they already have to be that belt, or they wouldn't grade.
Also, the belt system is a state of mind. I am a high belt (2nd kyu) and i am a member of my club's Newcastle tournament team. when i train with the other team members (many of whom are now black belt) I am not on the same level as the in regard to kata, but in kumite, I can spar any of them, we all score equal points, and in that respect everybody is equal.
Don't be put down by higher grades, all martial artists are equal

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people with no belts at all that are just good streetfighters have defeated high ranking black belts.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately in this day and age, I do not think that a person holding a black belt necessarily makes them awesome. Many people are promoted to Shodan because they have spent their time in at the dojo. Hence---"McDojo's" Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome black belts out there and even in the school I train in. My instructor I feel is absolutely one of the best, that is why I stay. What I am saying though is I have seen great black belts and great white belts and so on. Rank is individual. Some people want to be awesome. Some people just want to go to class for physical fitness. Some go just for fun. Every belt wearer is different.

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patusai wrote:
And people with no belts at all that are just good streetfighters have defeated high ranking black belts.

And people who are good streetfighters have been beaten by people who have guns. And people who have guns have been hit by a bus... and so on and so on...

I don't think anyone is claiming that there is a rank that is invincible. Just like a world champion (Football/Baseball/Soccer/etc) team can be defeated by the last place team on any given day, so can the best fighter be defeated by a lesser fighter.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, There is always someone better.

parkerlineage
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: American Kenpo - 12 years; Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu - Starting! (Dabbled in Wushu, Eagle Claw)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And buses have been blown up by explosives. And explosives have been dismantled by bomb squads. And members of the bomb squad have (possibly) been beat in training by other police members. And police officers have (possibly) been trained by a martial arts practicioner. Who has probably been beaten by a black belt. And...

Ah...the Circle of Life (tm).

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGTS INGONYA'MA.........

hehe...

ki master
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, kung fu, soo bak, ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

Blackbeltblonde
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had students in our school quit because we would not allow them to move up in rank.. we told them why.. they didn't like it and went somewhere else.

We also had a guy who joined our school, his sister joined another school and he got so frustraited that his sister got her black belt first.. but couldn't do have the stuff he could.. or do her stuff really well... So sad.

~BBB

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbeltblonde wrote:
We had students in our school quit because we would not allow them to move up in rank.. we told them why.. they didn't like it and went somewhere else.

We also had a guy who joined our school, his sister joined another school and he got so frustraited that his sister got her black belt first.. but couldn't do have the stuff he could.. or do her stuff really well... So sad.

~BBB

Unfortunately (or in some rare cases it's fortunate I suppose) there is always someone out there that will promote anyone

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that when I began MA I was somewhat of a belt hound. I craved the next level and missed the point of why I was training. Therefore my initial experience with Tang Soo Do was less than satisfying. Even when I began Shorin-ryu/Shudokan I was probably too focused on achieving my next belt, and often was mostly interested in the material needed for that next strip of cloth. It took a layoff and an examining of my priorities to realize that being a black, brown, green belt, etc, is not about rank, ego, or power, but rather about responsibility, personal achievement, and devotion to the art. My focus dramatically shifted and today I feel I have more integrity as a martial artist because my rewards are intrinsic, not externally gained by a strip of cotton around my waist.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: