Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ff100
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Grading results Reply with quote

I've trained in Goju & Kykoushin and both dojos let me and their other students know on the day of grading whether they had passed or not. This may be down to the format e.g spread across multiple days / weeks for all the different kyus / dans but after reading the threads it seems that some take some time before letting their students know the result. I was wondering if anyone knows the reasoning behind this as I believe the panel knows who passed and who has not?

Thanks in advance

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our system the panel will not tell you right away. You learn if you have passed on the next training day, because the panel may have specific information to give to your own sensei about your performance, etc. Especially if you did not pass.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

ff100
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.

Good luck in your training and keep safe.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually do not find out right away because our results get sent to HQ to be entered. Also, it takes about a week for the belts to come in, so we just wait until the belts come to announce results.

ff100
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks also bushido_man96

Jade
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...some weeks ago i got my first dan....but so far i couldn know what's my result...

aigaios
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hapkido

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us, it works like this:

Testing - first friday of the month.
Results - Following Friday
Belts and Certificates - The friday after results. (If you passed).

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our dojo we usually do not give the results till the following monday. (testing is done on fridays) There are three reasons for this.
1. The testing panel compares notes, and decides if everyone passed or not.
2. Certificates can be signed and we make sure we have the correct belts for the students.
3. They receive their new rank at the beginning or end of the class, so everyone who wasn't at the test can still witness it.

If testing is before a holiday, then we will give the results and ranks out the same night. This means however that we don't have the opportunity to compare notes. Instead we just make sure no one failed anyone. Also we need to make sure we have all the correct belts ahead of time, even for students who do not show up or pass their test. Certificates are handed out the next time class is scheduled, as there is no time to sign them. And no one gets to watch the cerimony except your classmates who also tested, and your parents/siblings who are already there.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this association I'm currently with as I haven't tested with them yet, however in the two other associations (Shotokan Karate & Kick-boxing) they told you on the day as the head sensei was always there to ensure high standards.

In Shotokan karate the grading were normally 1/2 a day for under 3rd kyu's, about 3/4 of a day for 3rd kyu and above and a full day for shodans & above. If you were going for a kyu grade you would get your belts & certs on the day (at the end), but if you went for a dan grade then you would be told at the end of the day, get your belts in the next class in front of every one and get your cert once a year around Christmas (as that's when there was the joint Christmas and cert dinner).

In the kick-boxing association after the grading your where given the cert & the belt.

-Ken

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wagnerk wrote:
I'm not sure about this association I'm currently with as I haven't tested with them yet, however in the two other associations (Shotokan Karate & Kick-boxing) they told you on the day as the head sensei was always there to ensure high standards.

In Shotokan karate the grading were normally 1/2 a day for under 3rd kyu's, about 3/4 of a day for 3rd kyu and above and a full day for shodans & above. If you were going for a kyu grade you would get your belts & certs on the day (at the end), but if you went for a dan grade then you would be told at the end of the day, get your belts in the next class in front of every one and get your cert once a year around Christmas (as that's when there was the joint Christmas and cert dinner).

In the kick-boxing association after the grading your where given the cert & the belt.

-Ken

You held rank in kickboxing??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: