Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all of you practicing jiu-jitsu:

How long does it take you to get a new belt/grade? (Practice/planning)

At which level do you think you want to quit?

---------------------------

I'm just asking this because that a couple of people that I train with have been on the same belt for years now.

Most of them are on green belt like me (3. KYU). For many the blue belt (which comes after green) seems like a tall wall, because it suddenly involves a lot more traing than to any other of the previous belts, including a new much harder reaction course.

My dad stopped at 3. KYU, but I want to go for 2. KYU.

2. KYU is a very tough graduation lasting at least one hour and a lot of explaining. The previous belts don't involve as much planning other than the extra techniques that you have to choose 5 extra of for each belt.

Of course it would be great to keep on practicing until I get 1st degree black belt, but I can imagine it takes a lot of preperation, training, and planning. It took my sensei 2 years of preperation for 1. KYU, and a lot of the times he used to sit and write a lot of stuff.

I'm quite interested in reading your thoughts on it.

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should carry on going for as long as you feel you are moving forward and enjoying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every school is different. Every person is different. I am going to train all the current martial arts I train in until I die because I just can't imagine not training. I'm strange, i guess.

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting!

I couldn't imagine my life without going to gymnastics when I was 12, but I had to move, and didn't get a change to compete against others....

I have thought about it, and I will carry on training as long as possible, and hey I'm not 'that' far from 1. DAN. Hopefully I'll graduate for 2. KYU before Christmas this year!

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your graduation Lars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tae kwon do I am likely not to ever quit...I'm kind of stuck in this school till I go into college hehe becasue I help out the school alot as far as assisting in the younger people's classes, and I got a postcard from one of my instructors the other day...it said "You will make a great instructor someday" So, I can't imagine quitting now. And I calculated that not this summer but may e next I might be close to 1st Dan.

And I'm starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu soon...but I'm only fourteen and I can't move up in the so-called "real grades" - white, blue, purple, brown, black - until the age of sixteen, and as far as moving up to the "junior grades" - yellow, orange, and green, I think it takes a LOT of time and effort, but what the heck? It's a fun MA.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time between grades in my school vary depending on which grade you are going for. White might take you a month. but white to orange could take you half a year.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: