Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Grapplezilla!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making the assumption that your primariy focus is some type of striking art (karate, TKD, etc). I would take a look at your kata and two-person drills and look for throw/lock/choke opportunities as "finishing moves" at the end of those sequences.

For example at our mid-level kyu ranks we have a prearranged "kyu kumite" sequence that has five sequences. The fourth sequence ends with the attacker performing a downward chop aiming towards the defender's head. The defender then steps into a shiko-dachi (low stance), performs an elbow strike to the sternum/solar plexus, and follows that with a backfist strike to the opponent's upper jaw (right beneath the nose). This postion has the defender primed to perform a number of different throws, such as an ippon seionage, o-goshi, or a number of other hip or shoulder trhows. In our "official" version, we perform an outer leg reap (o-soto-gari), but again, the position offers plenty of opportunities.

The fifth sequence of those drills ends with the attacker performing a right roundhouse kick. The defender then performs an "x-block" (combination of gedan barai uke & chudan barai uke), then performs a watashi-uke (circular block), which spins the attacker around. The defender then finishes the attacker with a shoken-tsuki (one knuckle strike) to the back of the skull. This also places the defender in a prime position for several techniques, such as a rear naked choke. Our official version has the defender kicking the attacker's leg out from underneath him while pulling back on the shoulder, taking him to the ground, and then finishing him with a strike to the neck or floating ribs (whichever presents itself).

I'd start with what the drills you're already comfortable with, and find the grappling techniques that present themselves in those drills.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for raising an old thread from the dead but it looked quite intriguing.

Did anyone ever manage to pull together a list? I'm reminded of Stephen Kesting's 'roadmap for BJJ' and thinking that a list would be so useful for a lot of people.

Having a list of some 'core' techniques to reference could be really useful for some people, especially those who are new. Was thinking about it this weekend when my 6yr old had a mini judo competition - i had told him in advance that it can be helpful to focus on one throw and one pin/holddown until really good at it and then gradually add things to your competitive game one move at a time. Having some kind of list/chart could help someone new pick a complementary technique to what they already know

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any kind of list ever got finalized. But I agree with the approach you took with your 6 year old. Learning how to apply one throw from various grips/approaches/stances is a solid way to gain good fundamentals.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite sequence is always getting to spider guard from the bottom while controlling each sleeve and pulling them down and clamping my legs to set up a triangle, then transitioning to armbar or kimura from guard if the first two fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: