Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

lilolpete
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Wushu, Tai Chi, Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Grappling arts vs Striking Arts Reply with quote

Sooo frustrating to watch UFC, Pride and K1 matches when a striker is put up against a grappler! We alwayz get our butts kicked ... Ive come to a conclusion that strikers will never ever beat a grappler. So what do you guys think? Are we basically skrewed when it comes time to fight against a grappler?

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move this to Comparative Styles forum.

matt( jiujitsufighter)
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think so, but you also have to realise that grappling is a necessary part of your training. I was purely a striker before i started bjj and training in grappling has shown me the necessity of cross training.

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are too many professional fighters in mma (i.e. UFC, Pride, K-1, etc) that would be classified as strictly strikers or strictly grapplers. Anymore they all seem to have exposure and proficiency in both. They may have a dominant style, but even that sometimes comes into question. Since most of the fights they know their opponents in advance, it seems to me they do just like boxers and train to the opponent (i.e. utilizing their strengths vs their opponents weaknesses). I may be off my mark, but that's how I perceive it these days.

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: grappling vs striking Reply with quote

it always good to be a well rounded fighter but you got to keep in mine that street fighting it often the result of self defense ,often a non matial artist attaking a martial artist so at that point grappler or striker don'T make any difference you got to get out of there.Plus if I am a grappler on the street would I go on the ground on a one on one attack? Maybe but if it a multiple opponents attack I would try to stay up and alive.what is going on in a ring is not always the same thing on the street.Do you train for the ring or to protect your self or your family in tine you need it?

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grapplers have the advantage because it's alot easier to close the distance and achieve a clinch/takedown than it is to keep distanstance and KO someone beofre they get to you.

Plenty of "strikers" win nowdays because they learn to grapple, or atleast leanr to avoid takedowns/submissions and get up.

Pedro Rizzo, Mirko Cro Cop, Liddell, Silva, are a few examples.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh. MMA is not an accurate indication of real fighting in my opinion. This topic has been done to death though. The rules in MMA favour grapplers.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider wrote:
Bleh. MMA is not an accurate indication of real fighting in my opinion. This topic has been done to death though. The rules in MMA favour grapplers.

No, Standups for inactivity and short rounds definetly do not favor a grappler.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
Warp Spider wrote:

No, Standups for inactivity and short rounds definetly do not favor a grappler.

Relatively soft flooring and a number of strikes being prohibited (which ones specifically depends on the event in question) definately does, however.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong again, Soft floors favor a striker since the better grappler will dictate positioning in most cases, are you one of those people who think that a striker has a better chance of out grappling a grappler and ending up on top?

I dont give me the "oh if you get knocked down it helps you" because if they are a halfway decent grappler they know how to break fall and it's not a sever issue.

There are a few techniques that favor grapplers such as the removal of the "downward" elbow in the UFC. but thats still 3 vs 1 in favor of the "striker"

Besides in the early days when there were hardly any rules it became obvious that Grapplers have the advantage. It almost comical that people still try and deny it to this day instead adressing the weakness like most.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15
Jump to: