Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Gravity vs Buoyancy Reply with quote

Martial art workouts are usually gravity based on dry land.

What if the same workouts were performed in water such as in a swimming pool?

(Mohamed Ali worked out in a swimming pool) "Float" like a butterfly sting like a bee.

I do more martial arts in a swimming pool than actually swimming.

Martial art workouts in a swimming pool are what I do on my recovery work out days.

Astronauts returning back to Earth after a long time in space, loose bone density, due to the lack of gravity placed on their body.

Fish surprisingly or not have a small spine, also due to the lack of gravity as they live in a buoyant environment; they however can become very muscular and strong.

What can we as martial artists learn from this?

Workouts in water is less stressful on joints as opposed to jogging or jumping about on concrete pavement.

Muscles in water move slower with a resisting pressure against movements.

Doing martial art movements in water, helps to feel and see energy flow through a liquid instead of air, giving a new perspective that is usually lost when practiced on dry land.

Eight or so years ago while in cardiovascular rehabilitation, everything was done in a gymnasium setting.

Had a talk with the therapist about, doing these exercises in a swimming pool instead of a gym.

Well talking about hitting the hammer on the head.

He gets all embarrassed and starts explaining that yes I am right.

Everything we do here would be better for everyone if done in a swimming pool.

As cardiac rehab patients would benefit, becoming stronger without the impact on joints; especially as most are seniors.

But as budgets wouldn't allow for cardio rehab in a pool so here we are in a gym.

From what I have learned and understand is that strengthening muscles for martial arts can be found in a swimming pool also improving muscle memory, with less stress put on joints.

What is your perspective on martial art workouts in water?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Rehabilitation using a Pool is an effective tool to use, because it reduces the overall impact on the body.

We use it for those who have Spinal, Joint or Muscular Problems; mainly for those who have had surgery or major injury.

However many great rehabilitation centres have pools that they use for this express purpose. And any of the Rehab Staff are able to use it as long as they have the knowledge + skills to use it safely and effectively.

For Seniors even more so, but we also have to take into account we still need to get them to do weight bearing activities to help prevent the risk of Osteoporosis.

But for Martial Arts, it is great because it adds resistance to everything you do alongside you having to focus greatly on the technical side of training.

I have seen many martial artists utilise the Beach over a Pool, because it gives them the additional impact of waves, sand and the current below the surface.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nidan your insightful comments are always appreciated.

I like the contrast of quietness in a swimming pool and the crashing against the waves in the sea shore; both have their respective benefits.

Another aspect of MA workouts in water, that might not seem apparent, is the inflammation factor, as being in the water keeps the body a little cooler; similar to using ice packs.

We could call this "Amphibian martial arts" AMA training or combat on land and in water.

Bruce Lee used a trampoline in his workouts while holding dumbbells; another element for the mix, in the air; something that was my edge over others when in TKD; giving me more air/hight when kicking techniques were used in conjunction with jumping high.

Putting these all together, workouts on land, in water and in the air; most definitely gives a person a variety of different gravity appreciations.

We all need an edge of effectiveness in MA, perhaps this little topic will ba added to your overall, training advantage strategies.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwater BJJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJyJ50ZFLk

I think pools can be a useful tool. To aid in supporting bodyweight or in adding some resistance. It is also great for practicing jumping techniques without fear of injury.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working out in the water can be beneficial, but it has its place merely as a supplement to other training.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Working out in the water can be beneficial, but it has its place merely as a supplement to other training.
Right on bushido!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: