Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that approach, DWx. Its just another shot in a line that you should be aiming to drop the attacker with.

akedm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...sometimes good targets are outlawed to increase the skill level involved.

- Bushido Man

I think that's what I was trying to ask in my original post, but I missed the mark entirely. Why would anyone want to go for the groin kick in sparring (not self-defense training) if it's about ramping up the skill of the discipline you're learning (a groin kick not being that much of a discipline-heavy technique).

I understand that sometimes everyone envisions themselves in a real-life self-defense situation when sparring (whatever gets the adrenaline up), so they treat their opponent as such. But that's what I was trying to say - why not focus on the skilled moves since that's the specialty of the discipline, and leave the groin kick mostly out of it.

Thanks for stating it so clearly, Bushido Man.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushidoman has a good point. At various times you ought to be focusing on training certain aspects of your game during sparring, not "just sparring" as we've discussedin another thread. It's how you improve all your weapons, the groin kick included.

It has to be focused and trained during these sessins as well. Additionally, it's important to sometimes incorporate all your tools as to see to their integration and understand how to flow form one to another as well as how the application of one will affect another.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank, akedm.

In the end, it will depend on what the 'goal' of the sparring that each school does. This will reflect what is legal and what isn't.

Like TG also mentions, being able to integrate all of the tools together is also important. When looking into Self-Defense, the skill development may be quite a bit different than that of, say, Olympic TKD sparring. I think that one can spend time doing both, but it is important to know and understand the differentiations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: