Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kyle_33
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: ground-fighting vs. standing and stuff Reply with quote

I'm sure most of us have heard the statistic that over 50 percent of all unexpected fighting encounters end up on the ground within the first ten seconds. This makes sense considering that most unexpected fights occur between drunks in bars and in similar scenarios. What do you think is the more useful style, a strike oriented or a grapple oriented style? I personally prefer grapple, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

And this is not about two martial artists fighting (in a real, violent encounter and not a scheduled match or sparring thing), because that should rarely if ever happen considering the moral background to martial arts: don't fight unless you have to. In fact, its stupid to compare your particular style to another directly, because you shouldn't be looking to pick fights. The only comparison comes when you are trying to determine which form will be more effective against a lay-fighter who is trying to rob you or something like that.

Anyway, what about grapple versus strike in real-life common scenarios?

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this one getting pretty heated.

So I'll start the flaming with GRAPPLING RULES and ALL Strikers STINK!

I'll now wait for someone like G95, Sai, Monkey, KickChick, Tobais to come back to me with there "pro striking agenda".

Seriously, roundedness is very important. IN ALL ranges:
Long - Kicking
Medium - Punching
Short - Elbows, Knees
Trapping - Joint locks
Grappling - Floor stuff.

But we all cant be equally good in all areas, or its very difficult to be. So I personally have choosen 2 areas I like, Trapping and Grappling. (Which I also believe to be the most useful in real life. IMHO)
But its my job then to be able to impose my perferences on to my attacker. This is what made the Gracies (to begin with) so good. They had no chance against a Kempo 8th Dan in stand up fighting, but they could impose their will and drag that person the the floor and then would have a HUGE advantage.

To sum up, its not whether its grappling Vs Striking, its the person that can make their attacker fight THIER WAY.

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again... lol

we'll I chose a striking art to begin with as 99.999% of fights start standing up. Having said that, I know that I need to learn grappling or I'm in real danger of getting eaten alive by a grappler. If only I had more time and money <sigh>

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striking, But I foucus alot of time on Takedown defenses and groundfighting if the need arises.

those %=untrained people throwing haymakers. normal people have no balance when they punch thats why it always goes to the ground.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have that fine balance that you can find in Jujutsu where everything is covered to a certain extent, however my personal preference lies in striking. I like to keep my distance, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if I get into a fight aginst someone untrained. However, grappling is extremely important if you go to the ground.

I'd have to say they're equal in importance, really.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they are Kyle San.

But, like I was saying. Due to the style, or time restrictions and money etc, we cant all train in all the areas. Also some, especially the TMAist dont WANT to train outside their style.

As Bruce Lee once said:

"Dont fear the 10,000 different kicks practiced once, fear the 1 kick practiced 10,000 times."

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right on the money Kensai; a generalization in all fighting with a focus on a range and style you think you can force. For me it's upright grappling and infighting. I'm personally worried about the multiple-attacker game to want to focus on ground work (the most obvious choice 1-on-1).

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say that if your a grappler learn some striking and if your a striker learn some grappling,

its better to be well rounded

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need BOTH-period.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai I love a good debate LOL

Im a fan of striking for this reason ONLY. In a street fight if you go to the ground you can be jumped from one of the guys friends. BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, etc is not good for multi attackers.

Thats not to say striking arts like Karate, TKD, Thai are but at least you can hit and move instead of being a target.

Now I am the first to admit that as soon as a grappler takes a strike down its just a matter of time. Most good grapplers can take down any good striker. In this case the strikes only hope is the lucky punch or the KO.

So IMO its like this.
ONE on ONE in a controled fight the grappler wins 9 of 10 matches every time if not more.

ONE on TWO or more the striker has much better odds of comming out a winner only because he can hit and move.

There is an old saying that it is better to be lucky than good. This is what strikers like myself live by when we face a well trained grappler.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: