Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Gyame - A little help? Okinawan connections? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the Okinawan (Uchinaaguchi) term "gyame".

I have only found it referenced in a few places and those are over a decade old (or more).

As I understand it, the term refers to the opening of the joints in the human body. I am trying to find out more about the teaching and see, specifically, if it relates to the concepts of opening the joints in Taijiquan, Baguazhang and Xingyiquan as well as many or most (if not all) of the Taoist water tradition qigong methods.

Would there happen to be anyone here who is familiar with the term or has been trained in it? Or can point me in any direction? Maybe you have a good Okinawan source that you could send the question off to for me?

Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to help me out!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is part of Okinawan Kiko practice, but that was actually never part of my karate experience. I understand that it is supposed to be "joint stretching" concept, but I'm afraid I don't know how closely that relates to the Chinese methods you're referring to. I'll put some feelers out to my contacts and see what I can find.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I believe it is part of Okinawan Kiko practice, but that was actually never part of my karate experience. I understand that it is supposed to be "joint stretching" concept, but I'm afraid I don't know how closely that relates to the Chinese methods you're referring to. I'll put some feelers out to my contacts and see what I can find.

Ah! Thank you sir! I would appreciate it very much.

I heard the term used once by Higaonna Morio at a Gasshuku back in the 90's and was not at a point where I could follow up with him personally. I then read it in an article that, for the life of me, I can not find (also back in the 90's) in relation to Okinawan kiko (気功)...in particular. It is along the lines of kai he gong (opening and closing work - 開合功) in qigong traditions and, I am supposing, follows much of the Taoist training found in Taijiquan, Baguazhang, and Xingyiquan. From those traditions, it is very much an opening (elongating if you prefer) of the joints...done for "energetic" reasons.

I would be very interested in anything at all that you (or anyone else!) could help me uncover.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant offer much but it did make think of exercises like this ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz69qwqw2kU

Also, some of the wrist and shoulder locks when applied seem to give the same 'therapy' .

After training in Aikido for some time I began to look forwards to my 'joint massages '

Senior got me pinned on the floor, applying pressure ... applying more ..... " Give in yet ? "

' A little more please ' .......... tap tap ...... "Thankyou ! "

beginners thought I was suffering from that 'over polite Aikido syndrome '

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
Wastelander wrote:

Ah! Thank you sir! I would appreciate it very much.

I heard the term used once by Higaonna Morio at a Gasshuku back in the 90's and was not at a point where I could follow up with him personally. I then read it in an article that, for the life of me, I can not find (also back in the 90's) in relation to Okinawan kiko (気功)...in particular. It is along the lines of kai he gong (opening and closing work - 開合功) in qigong traditions and, I am supposing, follows much of the Taoist training found in Taijiquan, Baguazhang, and Xingyiquan. From those traditions, it is very much an opening (elongating if you prefer) of the joints...done for "energetic" reasons.

I would be very interested in anything at all that you (or anyone else!) could help me uncover.

The Daoist site I am a member on has a heap of stuff on those subjects and I think you would get a wide variety of opinions there on your questions .

Not sure if I can post that here so I will PM it to you

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:

The Daoist site I am a member on has a heap of stuff on those subjects and I think you would get a wide variety of opinions there on your questions .

Thanks! I am familiar with the Daoist traditions in this regard (water method) by being an initiate in the Longmen Pai (Dragon Gate Sect - 龙门派) of the Complete Reality School (Quanzhen - 全真) of Daoism.

My interest here is in learning more about the Okinawan Kiko (気功 - gigong) methods that seem to be almost impossible to find. The water methods concentrate right from the beginning of training to open up the joints. The joints, by the way, are said to all have "energy gates" and opening them (via and in conjunction with) opening the joints are of extreme importance.

Thanks!

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
Miick 11 wrote:

Thanks! I am familiar with the Daoist traditions in this regard (water method) by being an initiate in the Longmen Pai (Dragon Gate Sect - 龙门派) of the Complete Reality School (Quanzhen - 全真) of Daoism.

My interest here is in learning more about the Okinawan Kiko (気功 - gigong) methods that seem to be almost impossible to find. The water methods concentrate right from the beginning of training to open up the joints. The joints, by the way, are said to all have "energy gates" and opening them (via and in conjunction with) opening the joints are of extreme importance.

Thanks!

IMO joints in 'improper alignment ' block or 'leak ' ki . Tight or 'closed' joints restrict flow .

The 'gates' can be closed by ' ki flow' relating to aligned movement / posture eg .

Some one grips my forearm with both their hands . I can direct ki through my body and down my arm and out my hand and fingers and 'surge' forward and the other will fold backwards . Or do the same 'high' , they will go up on tippy toes . But if I step in in a cross stance , bend my arm so my elbow is pointing down and ( close elbow gate ) and direct my ki through my body and arm but now out my elbow point , to the ground , down they go .

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you have not seen this yet .

http://ryukyuma.blogspot.com/2012/06/okinawan-kiko.html

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:

Yes, I am familiar with Ryan's stuff. I actually use to communicate with him "back in the day" on the interwebs...not that he would remember me or know me from the proverbial "Adam". I tried reaching out to him via email using the last one I had, but never got a response. I don't think it bounced come to think of it. I had heard that he had some sort of health issues in the past (not sure if that is true or not). That might have something to do with it. I was off the interwebs for quite some time, so I lost contact with alot of people.

Thanks though!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
Miick 11 wrote:

Yes, I am familiar with Ryan's stuff. I actually use to communicate with him "back in the day" on the interwebs...not that he would remember me or know me from the proverbial "Adam". I tried reaching out to him via email using the last one I had, but never got a response. I don't think it bounced come to think of it. I had heard that he had some sort of health issues in the past (not sure if that is true or not). That might have something to do with it. I was off the interwebs for quite some time, so I lost contact with alot of people.

Thanks though!

Ryan is actually one of the people I reached out to about this. His explanation was, essentially, that it is a practice of reaching and stretching out your techniques as much as possible without ruining your form. He believes it is related to the "joint opening" practices of Chinese arts, but he also wasn't really familiar with those practices.

My other contact spent 21 years living in Japan, and goes to Okinawa for several months every year, training in old Shuri-Te, and he hadn't even heard the term, so I'm going to say it's not all that common of a practice. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: