Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Half Guard from Turtle Transition Reply with quote

This week, our group focused on dealing with back mount, particularly from the Turtle Position. Here, we break down a bit of fundamental structure, how that plays into setting up the technique, and the transition from turtle to half guard. It ties in with last weeks video very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OUBuWYhKBw

Check it out and feel free to discuss from any point of view you'd like. Comments, criticisms, and questions are always welcome.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tutorial, as always!! Can't control what you can't grab!!

You're poor gi top; it's been someone's lunch, Alex!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Excellent tutorial, as always!! Can't control what you can't grab!!

You're poor gi top; it's been someone's lunch, Alex!

It's got some miles. I shredded out a Lucky gi last year and had to retire it, followed by my blue Spartan gi that finally lost an arm that wouldn't sew back early this year. I'm not sure how many miles the OTM has left. Add to that a Combat Corner that shrunk (really irritating since it's only a year old) but still wearable and I'm starting to run thin. Almost time to start ordering again.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Judo/BJJ gi tops were tougher than though. Although, doing BJJ isn't kind to gi's seeing that you're on the mat all the time rolling; things tend to wear out faster, I suppose!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are typically way thicker, although there are varying degrees of weave even within grappling gis. Still, as you say, there is CONSTANT stress on them. That particular gi top is in the neighborhood of 8 years old, but it's not in my day to day rotation. It's probably got 3-4 years of hard use on it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rundown, especially with getting out of a bad position. And I like how you are always pressing about moving up the "positional ladder." Its just not enough to say, "don't get caught in this position," because its going to happen. Great stuff, Alex.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Nice rundown, especially with getting out of a bad position. And I like how you are always pressing about moving up the "positional ladder." Its just not enough to say, "don't get caught in this position," because its going to happen. Great stuff, Alex.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

In BJJ, is it a good thing or a bad thing to be always moving? I ask that because we're taught that it's a bad thing to always be moving for the simple reason that...

"Each time you move, you open up other possibilities to your opponent to capitalize upon; don't be moving just to be moving: have consciousness while moving" ~Dai-Soke

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

In BJJ, is it a good thing or a bad thing to be always moving? I ask that because we're taught that it's a bad thing to always be moving for the simple reason that...

"Each time you move, you open up other possibilities to your opponent to capitalize upon; don't be moving just to be moving: have consciousness while moving" ~Dai-Soke

I'd say its always good to be moving, but you have to move with purposes. Like fighting on your feet, if you stop moving, you become a statue for someone to spool up on. Especially if you are trying to improve position, which is paramount. Once you obtain a position of dominance, the other person will likely try to move out of it, so you have to move to keep position.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I'd say its always good to be moving, but you have to move with purposes. Like fighting on your feet, if you stop moving, you become a statue for someone to spool up on. Especially if you are trying to improve position, which is paramount. Once you obtain a position of dominance, the other person will likely try to move out of it, so you have to move to keep position.

I agree! After all, move this way or that way with no rhyme or reason, you might work right into a rear naked choke hold, or one of the other fun submissions...fun for your opponent, but not for yourself.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian hit the nail on the head. It's movement for a purpose. It's not always huge movement, it might be a minute adjustment that is critical.

I always talk to people about the difference between a scramble for position and technique. A scramble occurs when an opportunity presents itself outside the bounds of routinely accepted positions. It's just that, a scramble to find the better position with both parties jockeying for position. I've heard instructors, good instructors, talk about techniques that "lead to a scramble."

With respect, I think this is lacking. However, technical transition occurs when the same opportunity presents, but you know and understand the principles of the art and have an intuitive understanding of connection, reading, and timing that allow you to guide that motion to your desired outcome.

Scrambles will almost always go to the individual with a higher degree of speed, athleticism, and/or strength. Technical transitions will go to the individual who has laid the foundation of not just technique (the starting point) but also conceptualized learning and UNDERSTANDING of the "why" of the art.

I'm rarely the strongest, fastest, or most athletic individual on the mat. Therefore, I always strive to build the best technical transition I can.

This, to me, is the difference between movement with purpose and just aimless movement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: