Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know jak! ... dontcha just hate it when you wrap quickly and get to the end and the velcro side is facing up! (TIP:) Start wrapping when placinf loop on thumb with the seam side turned UP ... this way the velcro will end up facing down once you get to the end. I mean its no big deal to twist and then attach but, this is how I explain it to my beginning students.
Handwrapping for boxing, kickboxing, etc serves multiple functions.
#1- lends support to your wrist and hand bones (metatarsils?) to prevent injury
#2- absorbs your sweat so that your equipment will last longer and not smell like old sweat socks
By wrapping your hands, you are trying to give support to your wrist and the back of your hand, especially by your ring and pinky fingers.
Most handwraps have a loop, and are labeled with a sign "This side down", and a velcro fastener on the other end. (or look for the seam and have that facing up as I suggested earlier).
Hook the loop over your thumb, and begin by wrapping around your wrist by going across the back of your hand. Try not to "twist the wraps".
As you begin to wrap, do not pull them too tight. They should be snug, but not tight. You want to make sure that your wrist, hand, and fingers get proper cirulation.

After wrapping around your wrist a couple of times, bring the wrap up across the back of your hand. Make sure to cover the knuckles. Allow the wraps to extend about an inch down onto your fingers.
As you begin to wrap acoss the back of your hand, spread your fingers wide as though you are about to palm a basketball. This will make sure that you do not wrap too tightly and cut off your circulation.
Keep alternating between wrapping the back of your hand and your wrist. When you approach the end of your wrap, finish wrapping the excess around your wrist and fasten them there.

Yes, many people will also include wrapping around the thumb knuckle when they handwrap, to support the thumb against potential breaks. This is a personal choice. I prefer not to wrap the thumb.
Also, if you have the extra long wraps, such as the Mexican handwraps , you may wrap the additional material by going in-between your fingers. Even though it doesn't offer any more protection to your hand that I'm aware of.
After wrapping your hands you can also use a little athletic tape across the back of the hand and around the wrist to keep the wraps secure. You will find that no matter how well you wrap them, they will begin to unravel during your workout, and a little athletic tape is a great way to prevent you from having to stall to adjust your wraps.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-02 08:02 ]

KickIt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to each of you!!! Everything was fine, during class! On Tuesday, I had a little trouble with the wraps coming loose, but I put them on a little tighter on Thursday.

Great tips, though!!!

Thanks again!

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrap between my fingers. It makes your whole hand so much more solider.

If you wrap each finger in turn form the thumb side then the middle 2 from the non thumb side. it stops all you knuckles spreading and pulling the muscles inbetween them, then wrap around the whole lot twice then make a fist and go once just over lapping the knuckles then back around the wrist to finish.

If you do it properly you should be able to punch pretty much anything and not hurt your hand. Solid.

I find handwraps are a must and always break my hand whenever i fight without em.

Bretty

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrap betwen your fingers to avoid hand damage. Imagine toe wraps now that would be funny

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use them!!! Can't count the times I have had lost a nail or got a blackened toe!!! (even broke one or two of them!!!)

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link its helped yet another n00b kick boxer do up his wraps.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... glad that we helped you out! Once you learn the proper way, you usually end up doing it the way that feels more comfortable for you .... but you need to start somewhere with the basics! Happy Kickboxing!
.... why don't they teach this stuff in class?

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i become a kick boxing instructer (ive still got a heck of a long way but one day i will!) i defenatly will teach how to do wraps. its very important well im one step closer.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is to make your wrist more solid when you punch. I also wrap my fingers some.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Erebus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.singto.co.uk/Techniques/Techniques%20Page.htm
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: