Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have addressed this before, but here we go again.

To produce real skills that you can effectively reproduce under stress conditions, the training method is more important than the technique.
Thankfully, the answer is not terribly difficult to come by.

http://mattthornton.org/its-aliveness-still/

There. There you go. There is the answer to producing these "hands on skills" that you are talking about.
No thinking required on this one. I just handed you the answer to the test question.
If you want it explained in a different way, then try this:
If you can successfully execute a technique against an intelligently resisting, training opponent who knows what you are trying to do and is actively trying to stop you, then you can generally run through the people who are NOT trained to that standard like they were made of paper.
There are many reasons for this, from athletic development that comes from this kind of training, to the better sense of timing and spacial awareness that you develop, but the bottom line is that alive training is the secret to developing real usable skills.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
Ok, I have addressed this before, but here we go again.

To produce real skills that you can effectively reproduce under stress conditions, the training method is more important than the technique.
Thankfully, the answer is not terribly difficult to come by.

http://mattthornton.org/its-aliveness-still/

There. There you go. There is the answer to producing these "hands on skills" that you are talking about.
No thinking required on this one. I just handed you the answer to the test question.
If you want it explained in a different way, then try this:
If you can successfully execute a technique against an intelligently resisting, training opponent who knows what you are trying to do and is actively trying to stop you, then you can generally run through the people who are NOT trained to that standard like they were made of paper.
There are many reasons for this, from athletic development that comes from this kind of training, to the better sense of timing and spacial awareness that you develop, but the bottom line is that alive training is the secret to developing real usable skills.
It's always good to have a reality check, now and then, keep them coming Tempest.

The Chinese use the water Lilly metaphor.

As many lillys live on the water line and very few above it, while others live their entire life living below the surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: