Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superleeds wrote:
What is this "hyung"? Once again my ignorance seems to have gotten the better of me...

Hyung, poomse, kata
They all mean the same thing: forms.
I'm sure there are plenty of other words that mean this from different styles.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobias wrote:
From what I have seen, Kuk Sool Won and Hwa Rang Do are more closely related to each other than either one is to Hapkido. I am sure there are differences between KSW and HRD, but it's difficult for a casual observer to tell what they are.

According to the author of that web site a sited, KSW and HRD are almost identical. Right down to the same techniques to be learned for each promotion. Even some of the photos he posted, of early HRD schools, showed KSW flags in the background.

They are related to Hapkido in a more indirect way. Numerous techniques are identical, and many others are very similar. I would imagine the requirements for promotion are probably pretty different, considering we need to learn hyung, and Hapkido does not.

Sekoudog
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Hwa Rang Do, Tae Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Distinctions in KSW and HRD... Reply with quote

I must state that I am a direct student of Chief Master Lee, Tae Joon, eldest son of Do Ju Nim, Lee, Joo Bang. Also, I hold a black belt in Tae Soo Do, the sister art of HRD, and a yellow sash in HRD.

The differences in KSW, HRD, and Hapkido are not just in hyungs/forms, but also in philosophy. There is a reason why, at least KSW and HRD, have their names trademarked. It is to set the art apart from all others. The names express a founder's religious or spiritual groundings, which guide and support the development and application of his techniques.

For example, there are a finite number of joints in the body, thus it flows logically that there can only be a finite number of ways to break or manipulate them. Therefore, the distinction cannot be in a new technique per se, rather it is in how the technique is applied, i.e. angles, forces, situations, etc.

Also, the founder's philosophy sets the stage for student-teacher and student-student relationships in the dojang. In the case of HRD, loyalty is demanded! In fact, loyalty is stressed in the Hwa Rang O Kae. Whenever a student enters the school he/she is progressly reminded of that duty, as well as the duty to make and keep commitments. Some students do and some don't. It is as plain and simple as that. Still the philosophy never changes.

We must remember that a martial art is and should be a way of life. The Code of the Samurai, Hagakure, were rules for daily life. The same is so of the Book of the Five Rings. Furthermore, as we all know you are as you practice. Therefore, you must practice the philosophy of your art--this is what makes you and your art stand apart.
Code:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: