Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hapkido we train for combat but that is not our primary focus. We are well rounded in more than just techniques. It extends to our spiritual side as well. We are a Martial Art that trains for combat, Not a combat art that focuses on nothing else, or a Martial Sport that focuses on the sporting aspect of things. Hapkido and Aikido's lineages stem from the same place. Much of our ideology is simular. We do not focus on destroying our opponent when we defend ourselves, but on doing the minimal that has to be done to accomplish our goals. Yet if needed we are prepaired for all out combat on the offensive as well as the defensive. To us the core of everything lies in our breathing, physical conditioning, offensive and deffensive technique techniques, and healing techniques ( Massage therapy, accupuncture, accupressure, healing and reviving points ). We feel that we must be well rounded in every aspect of life not just studies and combat. In life this is how you live and deal with others. You can't be a bully but you can't be a goody goody either. When we reach the title of Grandmaster we hope to have accomplished it in every sence of the word.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing but respect for Hapkido. But like you have said Hapkido has alot more offensive techniques.

Take Care.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have ki development in my Hapkido training. I wish I had.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study in a traditional Hap Ki Do Dojang under a GM student of Choi and Ji. My system is not TKD or Karate based as many other HKD systems have become. In traditional training Ki development is an integral part of the study.

yoriki816
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shodan Yoseikan Aikido, Shodan Goshin Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Hapkido vs Aikido Reply with quote

When deciding which style of the two has greater self defense value over a shorter training time, it is important to note whether or not you are studying a pre-war or post war style of Aikido. Pre-war aikido is much more like aikijujitsu than modern day or post-war aikido. It is generally held that Ueshiba (Aikido's founder) was deeply effected by the events of World War II and the focus of his martial arts training and spiritual development changed drastically from his pre-war teachings.

As a student and instructor in a pre-war school of Aikido and a dabbler in Hapkido as well, I would say that when dealing with practical self defense value that Hapkido has more real world application in the short run when dealing with a post war style. If you are studying a pre-war style I would say that things are much more equal in terms of street application.

I hope this was helpful.

Matt

LightFighterZero
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hapkido is more offensive than akido because it borrows some of the best kicks and punches from taekwondo, also since it is not a competition sport, normally illegal movements can be used like low kicks and the use of elbows and knees. This is how my class is taught. Akido is supposedly a more defensive style requiring the use of more locks and grappling. But I am not an Akido student so I don't know if the info that has been passed down to me is truely factual.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: