Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bigpopparob2000
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Gracie Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Has MMA adopted a belt ranking system? Reply with quote

I've been investigating online some martial arts schools in a couple of towns I may be relocating to in the near future. One of the schools listed each of its two instructors as having, ahem, "a 4th degree Black Belt in MMA." I found an MMA gym in another town, and its website talked about obtaining "a Black Belt in MMA."

I thought the closest things MMA had to a belt ranking system was training in BJJ. When I found the first school's website, I suspected that the owners/instructors were...well...flat out lying to make their school look more competitive/practical. When I found the second school's website, I started wondering if I am just out of touch (I usually am the last to know). Has MMA recently (or even not so recently) adopted a belt ranking system?

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMA gyms aren't a homogenized, centrally controlled group. So, something local, where someone has put in a belt system of some form is entirely possible. All they have to do is establish a set of requirements, based on skills and competition etc and you're set.

Or "mixed martial arts" may be the term the gym is using to refer to a blending of styles and not the competition format. More digging for information is what you need to know the difference.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't trust any "MMA" school that has a belt system. MMA is a sport, as such, the only rankings are those assigned by success in the ring. That is, you're the champ or the #2 guy ect...

MMA schools that assign rank are just trying to cash in on a popular sport. That's fine if all you want is a glorified fitness class. If you want real MMA training, keep looking.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. No ranking system currently exsists. Success would be based on competition records, number of fighters doing well, ect.

Now, one thing to look at is the credinitals of the instructors there. Is there grappling program run by someone ranked in bjj, or a wrestler type, if the latter then what is his lineage like. It's entirly possible that the instructors are ranked in something, but that should be spelled out.

I'd be wary if the black belt in mma was what they hung their hat on.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's quite possible to make a belt system for mma. Look at karate, in competition not always the higher belt wins, although he 'knows more'.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats like saying you're a black belt in boxing...

I know Tiger Schulmansm apparently gives out "black belts in MMA." The ones I've seen looked like beginner white belt jiu jitsu students on the ground. After all, most of their instructors are around blue belt.

They do it just to make money. Martial arts can be a big business, and belts are their best selling item. I'll make fun of them for doing it, but at the end of the day they are making bank.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the MMA will steer clear away from that type of ranking because the Dan ranking system would only serve, imho, to only clutter up the works, and in that, weight titles suffice across the board.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think belt ranking would just mess up MMA. It just doesn't seem like it would be good to fit belts into it. I view it more like Wrestling and Boxing, without ranks, but you find out who is at the top through competitions.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is quite a common practice to have belt ranks for MMA in Brazil. I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other, but I thought I would throw that out there.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: