Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, let me introduce myself to this board. This seems like a helpful and informative place, so I figured I'd post my question here.

Anyhow, as the name implies, I have a good boxing background, and have recently gotten into MT and IR kickboxing. I am having a real hard time developing my kicks, andI am having trouble getting the right distance (I hit with my instep rather than shin), and I always get COMPLETELY off balance. They say my timing is excellent, but the technique and power are a little off.

If I can get my kicks in order, my trainers say I have a good chance to do well because of my hand speed and power, so this is very important to me. I don't want to be considered a "one dimensional fighter", and I would appreciate ANY advice on training tips, technique, etc. that you feel would help.

[ This Message was edited by: boxer on 2001-10-24 10:16 ]

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi boxer!!! well i answered your question in the other forum!!

(Hey mods: I know i am not a mod but can i do this or just leave it for you to do it???could you please try to stick to one forum with the same topic try to see which one it fits best in and post it that one! for this i.e to say to someone thats breaking a rule???? )

[ This Message was edited by: kicker on 2001-10-24 12:45 ]

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi boxer. Welcome. The best advice I could give you to improve kicks is to ask everyone you train with for help. (Maybe not the answer you wanted!)
If you are losing balance though you have to look at the stability and position of your leg on the ground. I have seen guys with the same problem standing way to close to the target, maybe with boxing experience you are used to a certain distance. Look at standing further back to kick. Lean your body back, your head and body should be out of punching distance during the kick. Turn your hips. (This is easier to show than to tell!)
There is also "stepping out" at a 45% angle with the standing leg before the kick. I found this hard to get used to at first but it gets power into the kick.
Hope this helps a bit.
I hope you stick around for a while, Ide like to ask you a bit about boxing training compared to Muay Thai training, because I think boxers are better punchers. Boxing + Muay Thai, good combination!!

[ This Message was edited by: Slim on 2001-10-25 02:44 ]

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim,

Thank you....anything you need to know about boxing, DO NOT hestitate to ask. About the kicking, I am actually too far out of range. My kicks are landing on the instep rather than the shin. It's weird to punch combo then kick. I sparred a top amatuer MT guy, and I immediately stopped kicking with him and went straight to all hands. His kicks were WAY better, but every one of my punches landed (his hands were terrible).

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome, and anyone needing boxing advice, please ask.

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I boxer I know was invited to spar with his MT mate, the guy backed right off when he felt the punches!! What do boxers do that they are so much stronger? Is it just that they spend 100% of their time punching instead of 50-50 or whatever? Also, how much time and whats involved in defence in boxing? So far at MT we've been taught to kind of "absorb" punches with the forearms protecting the upper body, block kicks with the shins and lean backwards out of the way of high roundhouses.
As for the kicks remember that karate, TKD roundhouses are a little different to MT ones in the way that sometimes they tell you in Karate to "snap" it, where MT tries to drive it through the target, kind of like a baseball bat.
You intend to keep it swinging hard a bit after the impact for max power.

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, about the whole power thing, I feel its cuz boxers invest all their time into perfecting punches and locations (locations being the biggest factor). About defense, straight punches are blocked with the right hand "catching or parrying" the punch, and hooks and wide kicks are with the gloves held parellel with the ears (cover). About leaning back, that could come back to haunt you if you mis-judge the fighters range, or get pinned against the ropes. If anything, I try to "crowd' the kick to take off some of it's power.

When punching, always remember to throw punches in combo's. Develop a good jab, as everything is off this punch.

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of locations, could you explain that?

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is choose where you punch--just don't punch anywhere. Meaning, if you land a jab, just don't shoot out the right just for the sake of punching----look to split their guard with the punch. Look for the jaw, temple, or side of the head (done by angle punching). These locations sometimes can send a shock to the brain causing a knockout. Good body locations are the solarplexus or liver (done by slipping the jab and coming over-and-up with the left hook to the outside of the ribs).

If you think about it, the so-called big punchers are excellent at choosing their punches. Everyone that fights at a high level has at least good power----the knockouts come by choosing your locations, and firing the punch quickly and accurately.

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you develop that through hours of sparring?
At training we're not realy doing as much sparring as I would like, the pad and bag work if fine for power and speed and co-ordination, but I've been thinking lately that Im missing out on something like what you have just explained. Im not sure if the trainer is waiting for us to develop skill a bit more or what.
Did you read my post about backyard sparring in MT topic? What do you think?

I just gotta put this guy in, I love the way his right eye twitches!!

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your trainers point to make you guys proficeint on the bag work, BUT sparring is where you learn HOW to use the skills. I can't tell you how many guys look awesome on bag work, but couldn't land a punch to save thier life when sparring. Try to suggest to your trainer doing "flow sparring" or light touch sparring. THis will at least help you develop your range and timing.

Don't spar with a guy who is trying to kill you---nothing will happen except for you being punch-shy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: