Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True greatness has nothing to do with being perceived in a POSITIVE light. Adolf Hitler was a great man, yet history will judge him as one of it's greatest monsters. Ditto Osama Bin Laden, Idi Amin etc. etc.. Although it must be remembered that one man's monster is anothers hero.
It has to do with achieving, becoming pre-eminent, doing something of importance. Many great men were not even remotely close to being good men.
A better question here would have been what personality should a hero have.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I will never ever see Hitler as a 'great' person no matter how much logic you beat into my brain. The fact is that it is all a matter of opinion. I guess you are going with the definition of 'great' as someone of ample significance in history, someone who made a difference. In that case Ted Bundy would be quite a guy. He sure made a difference in the lives of all those who mourned the loss of their loved ones. It takes a lot more than 'doing something of importance or significance' to be great. Otherwise why don't I just go down to the local high school and shoot up an entire biology class. Then I could be 'great' too. Wouldn't that be dandy. My name would no doubt be of utmost significance and importance to the parents of those whose bullets I put into the heads of their children.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Osama Bin Laden a 'great' man?? Try to find someone in the United States who would be able to agree with the sentence, "Bin Laden was a 'great' man" and at the same time, does not support him. Good luck. The only ones who will say he was 'great' were the ones who were all for his cause. Therefore, it is dependent on one's opinion and views. The simple fact is that as long as long as he is a monster to me, or Jack, or Jane, or whoever, Jack Jane and I will never say that he is 'great'. Because we did not see what he did as 'positive'. There is a correlation. We can see that he was a significant f*ck and he will go down in history, but he won't be 'great' unless we felt that what he did was good and right.

Obviously, all this is assuming that you don't just define 'great' as 'big or significant'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a matter of opinion.
That is the meaning of the expression. By definition, people like Hitler are great people.
However, a person such as Ted Bundy will be but a minor footnote in history, just as you would be if your contribution to humanity was to slaughter a biology class.
Greatness is proportional to magnitude, not merit.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I were to slaughter every biology class in America and Canada? Surely my 'contribution to society and my greatness' would have definitely increased. I guess we are just arguing semantics here so it won't really go anywhere. It's just that I feel that greatness does not equal magnitude.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the eyes of their followers, Osama and Hitler are great men.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are. I completely agree with you. Osama is great in some eyes and not in other eyes. That was all I wanted to say. Nobody is 'great' to everybody. My father is a 'great' man to me. Is he a 'great' man to you? Probably not.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatness should not only be measured by acomplishments. A "great" person IMO should
have wisdom, understanding, compassion, strenght of character, heart and perserverence. If we all had these qualities the world would be a lot nicer to live in.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well It depends where people live to be a great person But also we have to remember that where we live can say that this person is great or where we use to live or were born

Well Hitler for some people is someone that is great, which includes me. But some people think that he started the war but teachincally he wasn't the person who started it. He got people to join the army and (was perparing them for war which he was planning i think) But i know it was a country i think france or something and another one i think germany people that were pretty important to the country just a few were riding and the might and someone shot one of them and they started the war

Sorry if i am i bit off but thats the idea of what happened.

Some people might have heard something else but it this is what i learned

[ This Message was edited by: kicker on 2002-02-11 11:55 ]

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes a great person is someone who influences other people in a positive way.

Examples:

Ghandi, Martin Luther King, or a father who teaches his children that morals and hard work can give you a good life.

Hitler and Osama are examples of great evil. People who use their influence to damage mankind.

:idea:Perhaps one never knows if he or she is truly great until time passes and we how how history views us and our legacy.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: