Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: head contact Reply with quote

So with new studies coming out on concussions. Does your dojo allow head contact in kumtie?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our house rules are pretty simple, really. Aim above the belt. No hand strikes to the head if you're not wearing gloves. Just about anything else goes (with Tae Kwon Do, and Hap Ki Do.)

That being said, we really don't end up with too many injuries. Punches and kicks are all pulled. Any submissions are also pulled. Even though protective gear is almost never worn, no one really gets hurt.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only foot techniques to the head, if you can get them there, no helmets. gloves, mouth guard and boot thingies. Intensity: Depends on what you agree, light to Maximum power.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We allow everything and anything, including the kitchen sink, if need be!! However, no matter the weapon, it must be controlled at all times. Sure, accidents happen, that's why we're adamant about safety gear for all Kyu students, without exceptions.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
We allow everything and anything, including the kitchen sink, if need be!! However, no matter the weapon, it must be controlled at all times. Sure, accidents happen, that's why we're adamant about safety gear for all Kyu students, without exceptions.

If I ever make it to your dojo, I'll definitely bring a kitchen sink with me. Hopefully you won't take it from me and beat me senseless with it though.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only do light contact to the head, and we require everyone to wear gear on their hands and feet--headgear is required for everyone under the age of 12, and optional above that, although I have pointed out that studies show headgear only protects from aesthetic damage, and may actually increase the risk of concussion. Even so, concussions have been VERY rare in our dojo. In the 7 years I've been training with my current Sensei, there have maybe been three concussions, and none of them were Grade 3 that I know of (loss of consciousness). Accidents happen, of course, and its a martial arts school, so that is a risk that must be assumed. Despite that, it is significantly safer than football, or boxing, which are both quite popular.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

If I ever make it to your dojo, I'll definitely bring a kitchen sink with me. Hopefully you won't take it from me and beat me senseless with it though.

LOL!!

You can bring the kitchen sink with you, if need be. I won't take the kitchen sink from you because...I won't need it.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the purpose and focus of training. If it is for maximum realism and dealing with a self-defense situation, everything and anything ought to be practised. The head and upper body are a common target in self defense situations as well as some completions. Even if one trains only for the ring, one ought to learn and be prepared to face those who may not care for "rules". Adapting to the situation is much easier when one has trained and practised for what is most likely to happen.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we allow them for both kicks and punches. Though our tournament rules just changed to no head contact at all for under 13s.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

LOL!!

You can bring the kitchen sink with you, if need be. I won't take the kitchen sink from you because...I won't need it.

Well played, sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: