Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Heartrate under stress Reply with quote

Quote:
How the heart reacts at 200mph
BBC Knowledge & Learning 27 May 2013 Last updated at 12:17
How does the human heart react to the most extreme forms of stress?
Using sports science technology, three very different riders at the International North West 200 motorbike festival, put this question to the test...
A fair amount of discussion about the need to specifically train to regulate heartrate for best performance under stress. Breathing exercises are specifically mentioned, though the actual exercises were not detailed.

Some of these ideas seem like they might be important for some of the people who are training for competition. Most of the ideas aren't specific to the racing bikes that were being discussed. This isn't specific to racing; I recall both Miller and MacYoung advising breathing and relaxation type techniques to moderate the heartrate when entering potential combat situations. As I recall, that advice was to shrug and relax the shoulders and force a deep and slow breath as part of the movement into a fence position. (I'm hazy who suggested what, and don't have the references in front of me, alas.) Competitors, however, have a lot more time to prepare and a longer encounter time.

Any thoughts on the matter?

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack breathing and tension in the body will elevate the heart rate very quickly. I notice people holding their breath all the time while sparring stand up and in BJJ. Shortly after this they will start to hyper ventilate from lack of oxygen. I'm guilty of this sometimes when rolling with my instructor or one of the pro fighters in my gym. I find this due to stressing about where I'm at positionaly and also not wanting to have a bad roll with either of these two individuals. Once I realize what I'm doing I try to relax and take 3 or 4 deep slow breathes to get my breathing back under control. Also when I notice this happening I notice my heart rate is super elevated due to my stress and of course the gas tank goes really quickly if I don't get it back under control.
The same would have to be true for racers be it bikes or cars because if they adding un do stress on their self they start breathing erratically and causing the heart rate to rise. And would effect them hitting their marks for brake, throttle and Corning.
I'm constantly telling people who've trained less slow down and breath. I was advice I got when rolling with a guys a few years ago when he was just working me over. Breathe, if you doing have your breath you technique is weak.
So.... Breathe I hear it makes you live longer.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that in the past as well, and we've been told to breathe at the Gracie Combatives class, as well. When we did the mount game at the end of the session, after a few minutes, Royce got under a guy, and said, "What's the hurry?" Then he proceeded to show that he could be relaxed and shuck a guy. Of course, he has so much experience, he makes it look easy, but, I see where its important to slow down where you can and breathe. When I get nervous, I try to remind myself to calm my breathing down.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Grossman's "On Combat" advises a simple use of tactical breathing to keep the heart rate down. 3 count inhale, 3 count hold, 3 count exhale for a few breaths to help regulate the heart rate and breathing. Once you hit about about 140bpm, your ability to apply physical skills degrades significantly. I've caught myself letting my breathing get away from me before and had to force those same slow breaths. Have to remind some of the students too. Breathing, without it you're going to die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: