Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya,

I've heard that a heavy bag is really useful, but how so? Maybe a dumb question, but I'm new so help me out here

Also if they seem like a good training tool I want to get it, but does anyone know where I can get it (websites and things)and how much they are? also how big they are? There's not too much space in my house so if it's really big I can't get it.

Thanks
y'all

-Hiya

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A heavy bag is as its name suggests, heavy. So when you punch/kick practising and drilling techniques on it, it provides resistance to help develop strength and power. What's more beneficial ? Punching the air, or punching the heavy bag ? A heavy bag resembles somewhat more hitting a person too..

I'm not sure about where to buy one online.., but, generally your sports store or martial arts supplier store should have them.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freestanding bag is more verstatile in a smaller area. It can be moved around. I have a wave master. With the shipping charges ordering a bag out of a catalogue or web site winds up being more than getting one at a local sporting goods store.

Hitting or kicking the bag lets you know what it feels like to hit something. And you will find that throwing a front kick and hitting something solid is much different than just kicking the air.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bottom of this page, you can go into the "Support Us" section, and there are some websites there which sell equipment including heavy bags... but I'd also think looking around locally would get you a more affordable offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy bags ore a good choice over hitting air. When hitting air you do not develop a proper sense of what real contact will be like. Hitting a bag helps you to develop strength.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just have to say one thing........wave masters suck!

heavy bags are the best to work on your power

possibly the best drills you can do are with focus pad work....ive said this before and ill say it again.......focus pad drills works your power that you get from heavy bag training, speed and technique you get from shadow boxing and to an extent simulate fighting that you get from sparring.....

this is primarily one of the reasons why cuban boxers are so good......they drill of focus pads for countless hours.....if u go to boxing gyms in cuba a majority of them dont have heavy bags because they just do so many hours of focus pad work that the heavy bag almost becomes obsolete.......

if you can find a partner who knows how to hold the pads well thats great......other wise invest your money in a good heavy bag and hook it up in your basement........dont waste your money on a wave master.......

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that happens to be your opinion and that's ok ... but the two types of bags are used for entirely two different purposes. First of all the "hanging" heavy bag is good for side kicks esp. As I posted in Heavy Bags in the KB Forum.
"The way to ensure you can do a side kick properly is to use a heavy kicking bag. (When you sidekick a bag there are 2 possible good outcomes... one being that when the bag goes flying to the ceiling which is the minimal damage you can do by pushing your opponent to the ground. The superior way is to cause the target area of your bag to bounce back causing the bottom of the bag to lift up which comes when you do the sidekick with a decent snap/hip thrust/retraction of leg. The bag does not go flying up because you
have sent your energy horizontally which is the effect you should have on an opponent. By doing it in this way they will be winded and be knocked to the ground, as opposed to flying back and getting up."
In class we use the hanging bag to work on performing kicks on a moving target...letting the bag swing back and forth and then circular.... or having someone hold and release it as you run towards to perform a jump sidekick for example.
I also have a wavemaster which I have filled with sand....I don't like filling it with water because I spring links all the time and the sand stabilizes it better! It doesn't bounce back in the way the hanging bag does so it offers more resistance for punching and push kicks. I tend to train more on the wavemaster before doing breaks.
I am going to close this topic here and we can all resume discussion in Heavy Bag in the Kickboxing Forum. There Hiya you will find many more useful tips!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: