Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Heavy Weight Boxer V/S Sumo Wrestler Reply with quote

Ok there is always a lot of comparison. Fine, no biggie. But I figure lets try and make it interesting.
Say you have the best Heavy weight boxer of all time up against an equall in the same class of Sumo. Who do you think would end up surviving the clash of the titans.

Also:
JKD V/S Sumo
BJJ V/S Sumo
Judo V/S BJJ
Japanese JJ V/S BJJ

Thats good for now. Lets make it interesting by comparing systems that are very simular and are on the opposite spectrum.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooow good question!!!
i recon the boxer, the jkd guy, the Bjj guy,the Bjj guy. im tihnking it would be damn hard to do any kind of throw on a sumo guy.
but also it depends on what rules there playing by.

Last edited by ZeRo on Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just gonna say sumo for all of them....

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the boxer has gloves on and the Sumo guy does not. No question Sumo. If both are bare knuckle well Id still go with the Sumo guy only because of size and his ability to hurt the boxer faster.

JKD V/S Sumo A well trained striker will beat an out of shape Sumo guy look at Kieth Hanckeny in UFC III. However if were talking about a 350lbs Sumo guy that can move it may come down to who lands the first good shot.

BJJ V/S Sumo Unless the BJJ guys lands a choke I don't see him working a good guard. LOL. Hard to wrap the legs. Mass alone makes it hard to grapple a much bigger man.

Judo V/S BJJ BJJ only because it works more on striking.

Japanese JJ V/S BJJ The better person wins.

In all cases the better fighter wins and style don't matter but at some point you have to factor in size and mass.

Severe Matburn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Team Snake Pit Submission Fighting (grappling and striking)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say:

Boxer vs. Sumo-The sumo will get KTFO, we've all seen how good sumo's do against strikers.

JKD vs. Sumo-sumo gets KTFO

BJJ vs. Sumo-may be a lil hard on the bjj guy coz of his size but i'd love to see the bjj guy use the sumo's fat like a gi, lol

Judo vs. BJJ-I'd say BJJ coz even though the judo guy will likely take him down the bjj guy will be more comfy when he gets there

JJJ vs. BJJ-I'd say BJJ unless the JJJ guy slaps on some crzy unexpected wrist lock er somfin(i've once been wristlocked while grappling, i didn't tap though...juss stuck through it and defended enough to keep my wrist from breakin, this guy musta outweighted me buy 80lbs.)

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of floor are they fighting on? If it's a hard floor the arts like Judo will probably do a lot more damage than they would otherwise.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severe Matburn wrote:
JJJ vs. BJJ-I'd say BJJ unless the JJJ guy slaps on some crzy unexpected wrist lock er somfin(i've once been wristlocked while grappling, i didn't tap though...juss stuck through it and defended enough to keep my wrist from breakin, this guy musta outweighted me buy 80lbs.)

Then he either wasn't doing the wrist lock properly or was too stupid to swtich to a more effective on if you've got some resistance.

Molson style
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: just kick ass and look cool doing it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sumos in early ufc were pretty pathetic. all they seemed to do was try to push their opponents and it was funny watching 1 of them slap around the punching bag. so i'd have to vote against them

i don't really know much about sumo but i don't think it teaches u too much about real fighting against training opponents, just against guys pushing you and using weight.

judo vs bjj:better guy wins, it'll depend on the environment. if the bjj guy's smart he'd rip off his shirt and the judo guy would go **** he's topless. judo relies too much on the gi while bjj practices gi/no gi techs, judo guy would have a better chance at ending the fight with a throw since judo emphasizes more on hard throws, while bjj guys prefer the simple leg shoot. if it goes to the ground bjj has the advantage, gi or no gi

bjj vs jjj:assume they are even strengthed. i personally like jjj more as a style(neck cranks, small joint manipilation, strikes, spine manipilation) but bjj would know how to take the jjj guy to the ground and work from there.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molson style wrote:
bjj vs jjj:assume they are even strengthed. i personally like jjj more as a style(neck cranks, small joint manipilation, strikes, spine manipilation) but bjj would know how to take the jjj guy to the ground and work from there.

JJJ isn't completely helpless on the ground. In fact, I'd give a good JJJ practitioner an equal chance against a BJJ practitioner on the ground.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: