Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Heel or Toe
Heel
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Ball of the foot
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Other
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Heel or Toe? Reply with quote

When stepping (and I mean technically speaking, like for forms), do you place the heel down first or the toes/ball of the foot? and why?

Was just comparing my TKD training to what we learn in Tai Chi and TKD always always places the ball of the foot onto the ground first whereas in Tai Chi, we place the foot down heel first. In TKD we want to have that mobility so we can change direction or move away at a moments notice so we go ball of the foot first so we can pivot if we need to and can use that foot to push back and step again with the leg we just placed down. In Tai Chi we want to step empty (without weight) and test the ground first before moving onto that leg. Also when you walk normally we go heel-to-toe and we want to mimic that.

So what do you guys do and why?

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heel to toe when doing forms in Soo Bahk Do. It's as you observed, Danielle, more natural. My stance balance is definitely better, and I also studied Tai Chi in the past, so it may be in the back of my mind as well.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do katas in karate, sensei always tells me to step with the whole foot at once as I tend to step once with heel once with ball. So I go with other, becous I should go with whole foot

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball of the foot first. It gives you more "grip" to the floor than the heel and is a little harder to get swept. The heel has no "grip".

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the ball of the foot first. When doing forms in karate, very few times does the feet ever leave the ground. During my Korean forms, however, I've never really paid attention to how my foot was landing. Maybe I should figure that out.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do ball of the foot, too, like you, Danielle. I think it does make for better change of direction, especially with all the moving between stances.

Martial Walrus
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Moo Do Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been taught that when transitioning/stepping between stances, whether in forms of during sparring, to never lift my feet any more than half an inch from the floor. It should be more of a slide than a step, since it is a waste of time and energy to lift them higher. Because of this, I have never really thought about what part of the foot I'm landing on. However, I always keep my weight on the balls of my feet, even when my heels are touching the floor. So I am more in favor of ball to heel.

"The hammer fist solves EVERYTHING!"

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball of the foot. The heel is high in the air a substantial portion of the time anyways. Plus it isn't a very functional part of the foot to begin with.

Heel-toe walking is an un-natural adaptation to people wearing half an inch of high impact foam rubber under their heels all the time. Learn to jog or hike barefoot - you need a different technique than with heavy shoes, which most people have trained away, and heel-striking will put you in the hospital with knee problems rather quickly. Barefoot movement is natural by definition.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
Heel-toe walking is an un-natural adaptation to people wearing half an inch of high impact foam rubber under their heels all the time. Learn to jog or hike barefoot - you need a different technique than with heavy shoes, which most people have trained away, and heel-striking will put you in the hospital with knee problems rather quickly. Barefoot movement is natural by definition.

While I was at academy, the guy who would put us through our PT showed me a video of the "ball of the foot" running, and showed a graph of the impact difference on the knees between heel-to-toe running and vise versa. It made lots of sense, but is tough to get used to.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball of foot!!

In Shindokan, the usages are vital in our ashi sabaki, footwork, as it accentuates our movements. Whenever we pivot, step through, moving, turning, step through and half-turn, as well as our step through and turn, we're on the ball of our foot through our transitions.

Good topic!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: