Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pers wrote:
I just watched this clip of him talking about stances ,pretty much what I have been saying here ,notice his front foot and hill off the floor .
and even when he is at the end of his technique you may notice his back foot with his hill just a fraction off the floor meaning more weight on the ball of his rear foot.

https://youtu.be/jUTdsjb1OsQ

Momentarily before the heel comes to rests, quite often and normally. For nothing, did anyone notice his left foot shape, kind of a wave shape.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, OP here. I appreciate all the feedback and it looks like it spawned some more in-depth discussion on the topic! Surely there must be a lot of nuances to this kind of thing that can only be perfected over time.

Tonight in training I got a pretty good view of what my instructor was talking about. A teen blue belt was running through some kata alone with the instructor and I got the chance to watch. This is the student who my instructor originally corrected the night I posted this (he also corrected me later). The mistake was very clear: this student is quite literally on his toes as he moves through the kata. Foot planted, rises up to his toes as he moves (heel is at least about 2 inches off the ground), plants foot back down to finish motion. It looks really sloppy and incorrect, and I see exactly what my instructor is talking about.

Fortunately I don't think I'm quite a bad of an offender as this student. For whatever reason my biggest problem is forward motion, going sideways or backwards I seem to do OK. But I've been working on it the past couple of days and think I'm starting to get the knack of it. Still have to think about it consciously and it stills feels a bit awkward, but it's not going to be some impossible task to implement. At least not this basic premise.

Thanks to all of you folks for your feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: