Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pinangata quite extensively. This, however, is due to my model of teaching. The organisation I belong to has what are called the "Rolling Bunkai" and there is a set for each of the Pinan. The Rolling Bunkai are essentially a form of Yakusoku Kumite demonstrating an application for each sequence of movements, and the principles therein.

I teach the aforementioned Rolling Bunkai and then the kata sequence. Thus, the basic application is taught alongside the kata movements. I then break down the rolling bunkai into isolation exercises focused on the broader principles of foot-work or hand-fighting found within. I gamify the exercises with Renzoku Kumite and Kakei-Kumite exercises focusing on the shapes within. Lastly I apply self-defence scenarios which take the form of semi-free sparring drills to put into context where we might use said skills in self-defence. I also put a lot of emphasis on the mechanics and structure of the movements as they relate to the application so the kata serve as shadow-training for the applications.

Gekisai Ichi, or Fyukyugata Ni, I tend to teach after the Pinangata, but with a focus on the Naha elements present.

Most of the time that is my model. However, it does depend on the student. If I have a student that already knows the pinangata I will not bother teaching them a new version, unless they ask me, and I parse their application education down to the novel sequences found in the pinangata. Just so they are on the same page as everyone around them.

If I have a student that will not benefit from the rudimentary education found within the pinangata I will move them straight onto Jitte. It contains interesting techniques against more sophisticated martial arts.

That said: all adult students start with Naihanchi Shodan and Higoanna no Sanchin. Those are the two kata we run through each class.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Karate, Shotokan, as a school kid, so I learned Heian forms . Then much later I did Shorin-ryu Pinan forms . I prefer the latter due to a greater depth of applications and techniques . However I have seen many different ways of doing Pinan some little different from Heian . Even a single move , transitioning from one stance / direction to another has so much 'significance' in it and its other possible applications . This is entirely lost in Heian as that move isnt even executed in it !

Originally we only did the first 2 Pinan , although now the 5 of them . Mr Nishihira 'started' off with Niharchin Shodan ( his favorite kata to teach people his form ) .

However I would never teach school kids, or even youths and adults whom I considered 'irresponsible' these techniques ..... hence their changing so as to make a 'school physical education system' out of them .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: