Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AndySike
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Doshinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

.edit

Last edited by AndySike on Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Well I'm relatively new myself, but I'll say this- go with the school that has a good reputation. I am sure they have some sort of effective ranking system in place... but ranking as fast as possible is probably not the best goal to set. It wouldn't do you much good to be ranked as a black belt when you are easily defeated!

There are no true shortcuts to this kind of knowledge. It takes training, practice, training, and practice. It takes a lot of time and energy and dedication. It takes blood, sweat, and tears.

I don't know anything about Doshinkan, but I would say go for it. Get yourself a solid foundation in karate. In two year or so you will likely be going to college somewhere else, yes? If so, then by then you should know if that particular discipline works well for you, and you'll be able to decide whether to continue training in it, or picking a different discipline. You can learn something good from any discipline with a good reputation, after all. The absolute basics tend to be fairly similar from discipline to discipline as well, so think of it as giving yourself a little head start. you might find that you like it more than you thought you would.

Me, I am learning Kyokushin, which certainly would cover your hard, intense workout requirement, and defense as well. I don't know how common it is any more, or if it can be found at all where you might go to college. Mine is certainly not the only discipline that works and trains hard, however!

So those are my thoughts, as an admitted newbie. And welcome. :}

AndySike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evergrey wrote:
Hi there!

Well I'm relatively new myself, but I'll say this- go with the school that has a good reputation. I am sure they have some sort of effective ranking system in place... but ranking as fast as possible is probably not the best goal to set. It wouldn't do you much good to be ranked as a black belt when you are easily defeated!

There are no true shortcuts to this kind of knowledge. It takes training, practice, training, and practice. It takes a lot of time and energy and dedication. It takes blood, sweat, and tears.

I don't know anything about Doshinkan, but I would say go for it. Get yourself a solid foundation in karate. In two year or so you will likely be going to college somewhere else, yes? If so, then by then you should know if that particular discipline works well for you, and you'll be able to decide whether to continue training in it, or picking a different discipline. You can learn something good from any discipline with a good reputation, after all. The absolute basics tend to be fairly similar from discipline to discipline as well, so think of it as giving yourself a little head start. you might find that you like it more than you thought you would.

Me, I am learning Kyokushin, which certainly would cover your hard, intense workout requirement, and defense as well. I don't know how common it is any more, or if it can be found at all where you might go to college. Mine is certainly not the only discipline that works and trains hard, however!

So those are my thoughts, as an admitted newbie. And welcome. :}

Thanks! And I will be heading to college in 2 years, most likely University of Washington, so I know there will be a lot of choices up in Seattle. Thanks for your advice!

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you do choose Doshinkan, I looked it up, and apparently there are about 25 dojos in the USA and one of them is in Seattle. I know nothing about the style other than what this website says, I just googled.

http://www.doshinkan.com/dojos/seattle.htm

Good luck and welcome!

AndySike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rateh wrote:
Well, if you do choose Doshinkan, I looked it up, and apparently there are about 25 dojos in the USA and one of them is in Seattle. I know nothing about the style other than what this website says, I just googled.

http://www.doshinkan.com/dojos/seattle.htm

Good luck and welcome!

Yea, I've been looking at that. The problem is the dojo in my area isn't listed on that site. However, he is legit as our family knows him and his family. I just can't get over the fact that I might get bored with it.

Anyways thanks guys!

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you put a lot into it, you'll get a lot out of it, and hopefully won't get bored. Good luck!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF! You never know if you will like it or not until you try it!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AndySike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old saying...

"Take a sip at first, then while tasting it, you'll see if it is good." Therefore, try it and you might just like it.

Welcome to KF!!!!!!!!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Andy

As always with these types of things, probably the best thing to do would be to go along, watch and try a couple of classes in each and see what you think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: