Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: HELP! Bit of a Dilemma... Politics! Reply with quote

Bit of a dilemma, few months ago my 3 year old son and I started Karate. During the week I go to two classes in one dojo and my son attends a Karate Kids class with another dojo on a saturday morning. We both go to different Karate schools, both Wado Ryu, within the same village.

I mentionned this to my Sensei last night, and was told that there is a bit of tension between the two Dojos. Both Sensei's used to teach together, but them mine broke off due to difference of opinions in training and started his own, which has attracted some of the higher graded students from the original class, again causing more tension.

As the two classes are both under the same affiliation, I will be grading alongside students from my sons class. (he wont be grading until he reaches 5 years old). As I take my son to his class on a saturday morning Im well known to his instructor.

I'm just a bit worried how me being a student of the 'local competition' will
effect my sons training. I was planning on telling him before Grading as he will no doubt find out when I will turn up in my Dojo's Karate Gi. Is this something Im thinking too much about, or could my sons karate instructor get a bit childish and stop me coming to spectate at my sons classes?

Cheers in advance.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is an issue, it would show a major lack of integrity on the instructor's part. If that's the case, I'd take him somewhere else. Children that age emulate what they see.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that they might get along but surely if you're the same organisation it shouldn't be a problem. If he did stop you from watching, I'd just take my kid out of the class; instructor can lose the business as I wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that anyway.

Just out of interest is there a reason why you train at the separate schools instead of both at the same school or is it just because they have a kids class for your son to go to?

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like i said Im probably thinking too much about it and its not an issue.

The only reason we train in different Dojos is the timings of the classes. Mine is in a permanent location about 100 yards away from home during weeknights, my sons is about 5 mins walk in the opposite direction for the Saturday kids class, but switches location to other villages during weeknights.

Appreciate the responses, it probably not even an issue, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything similar previously. Cheers again.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MasterPain and DWx. This shouldn't be an issue, but if it is you should pull your kid. An instructor needs to set aside petty things like that so that they can teach to the best of their ability. If he were to let something like that effect your kids instruction then he doesn't have any place teaching your son karate, much more teaching it at all.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

MAMom78
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your instructor didn't have a problem with it, so likely your child's instructor would not have a problem, either. If he questions you about it, simply explain your reasoning for why you both are attending different schools, which is out of convenience.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Master Pain, it's all about integrity. I also think 3 years old is too young to start martial arts. How much are you paying for a martial arts themed play group?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I also think 3 years old is too young to start martial arts. How much are you paying for a martial arts themed play group?

Agreed.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I agree with Master Pain, it's all about integrity. I also think 3 years old is too young to start martial arts. How much are you paying for a martial arts themed play group?

I disagree. Although it's not technically "martial arts", I think a martial arts themed physical education program is great for that age and that karate schools with properly trained instructors would be great places for that. Kids at that age are growing in leaps in bounds when it comes to motor skills and having a place for them to practice those motor skills is awesome. They can gain more control of their movements, balance, etc, all while learning social skills, following directions and being a part of a group. If it's well-run and pays close attention to physiological development, it'd be just as worthwhile as enrolling your child in gymboree or other programs designed to help young children gain those same skills. There are also a few basic self-defense skills you can teach even to kids that age like dropping to the ground, holding tight to something big like their bicycle and yelling "you're not my mommy/daddy!" if an adult they don't know tries to take them. I like it.

Back to the main topic, I could see your son's instructor being more upset than your instructor if there's a history there. Your instructor losing a 3-year-old student is nothing, but an adult student is a more valuable commodity. If the instructors really are that petty, and there are such petty people out there, I could see where you're studying being a bigger hot button than where your son is "studying". But if these are reasonable men, the explanation about the class times should more than satisfy them. If not, maybe find somewhere else, despite the convenience...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:

I disagree. Although it's not technically "martial arts", I think a martial arts themed physical education program is great for that age and that karate schools with properly trained instructors would be great places for that. Kids at that age are growing in leaps in bounds when it comes to motor skills and having a place for them to practice those motor skills is awesome. They can gain more control of their movements, balance, etc, all while learning social skills, following directions and being a part of a group. If it's well-run and pays close attention to physiological development, it'd be just as worthwhile as enrolling your child in gymboree or other programs designed to help young children gain those same skills. There are also a few basic self-defense skills you can teach even to kids that age like dropping to the ground, holding tight to something big like their bicycle and yelling "you're not my mommy/daddy!" if an adult they don't know tries to take them. I like it.

I'm with Lupin1. It's most likely not proper martial arts but a class that teaches basic motor skills and things like stranger danger and general awareness. We run one at our school. It's no different from sending your kid to some other activity like acro or swimming or something. They're great for development and feed in nicely to proper classes later. They also make money for the instructor which can help support a main adult program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: