Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

NewLevel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Help choosing the right size Karate gi? Reply with quote

I'm about 5'11-12" and weigh roughly 280-290 pounds. So I'm a big guy. The most difficult thing right now is finding the right Karate gi, that I need for class. I'm looking at Century middleweight gi's:

Jacket:
http://www.karatedepot.com/un-md-31.html

Pants:
http://www.karatedepot.com/un-md-34.html

Last year I ordered a gi from a different brand that was a size 6...the jacket and belt was too small, but the pants fit okay but they were too long and had to be hemmed.

Now, going by the size chart alone, do I need to go by weight alone when getting the right size?
Should I buy the jacket and pants separate with different sizes or just together (same size chart applies)?

I don't want a jacket to be baggy where it looks really long as well.

Thanks for the help!

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a century gi, so I can't tell you from experience how they size. Hopefully someone else on these forums can though ^_^

What I would do if I were in your position is measure myself in the shoulder and around my hip (or wherever you want to wear your pants), then call customer support (the number's on the bottom of that page btw) and ask them about the pants and shoulder width of their size 6 7 and 8 gis. The length of your sleeves is less important because they can be hemmed easily (if you're willing to get it done that is). Getting different size pants and top may be a good idea, though once again, depending on how the sizes are. I don't know.

Unfortunately, the case for many gis is that the length/width ratio is simply not right for every body. Some cuts/brands run slimmer and longer in their proportions (like Yamaga and Mizuno), while some run shorter and wider (like Tokons)

If you are ever in the market for a heavier (though admittedly more expensive) gi, I bet Tokon's Europa size 6 1/2 or 7 would fit you like a glove. Their jackets and pants run wide and their sleeves and pant legs are shorter than average. It's sad, because I love the fabric, but a shrimpy chick like me looks ridiculous in that cut. It's definitely built for someone with a more substantial build.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used Century uniforms and so have most, if not all, the folks with which I train. Judging by your size/build the pants and sleeves will probably need to be hemmed. It shouldn't be a big deal to get that done. I think most tailors would do it.

mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 5'11", I weigh 280 lbs, and I wear 40-42 size pants.

I wear a size 7 Gi. Mine is a KI International competition cut Gi.

Honestly, your biggest enemy is shrinkage. The bigger gis have more material and shrink more over longer periods of time.

The BEST thing to do when you buy a gi is buy the absolute biggest size possible, wash it in super hot water, dry it with a clothes dryer on light heat. Re-wash it with super hot water and dry it again.

Then put the gi on, mark one sleeve and one pant leg for length. I mark the arm slightly above the wrist. I then mark the pants right where the heel meets the floor. Get the gi hemmed to that length on both sides and then FOREVER after that, wash in cold water, and line dry it; keep it away from a clothes dryer.

This procedure "pre-shrinks" the gi before hemming so you don't end up with high-waters. The gi will continue to shrink ever so slightly over time, but that is the best thing to do.

Big Gi's shrink a lot over time, so go big to begin with and get it tailored to fit. It costs about $40 to Hem.

NewLevel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the obi be the same size as the uniform?

I don't like my obi too long where it hangs low...

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi's come in cm sizes, so you can pretty much pick one as long or short as you like.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the obi that comes with the gi is usually matched the same size.

Shizentai came up with hemming to fit. That's a good idea. I've had a few students over the years who have bought 2 Gi's and then had a tailor combine the two to make one. By that, the tailor used SOME of one of the Gi's to MATCH texture and color to add a panel to both the Gi top/pants sides. Bad thing about that is that it cost one of my students $150 to do that...ouch! BTW, my students that did this did it when the largest Gi one could purchase was a size 6.

Good luck and let us know what you finally decided.

Last edited by sensei8 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 230-240. I just got a size 6 Century gi (just got it in the mail today, actually) and before washing it it feels a little tight in certain spots (mostly where it ties, but of course the ties have to fall exactly at my widest spot...). Depending on how your weight is distributed, you may want more than a size 6.

NewLevel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going with a size 8 from Century...and do all the washing to shrink it, then get it tailored.

So for tailoring the gi sleeves should hang just above the wrists and the gi pants above the heel?

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on choosing a Gi, as for how you wear it it's entirely down to you. I roll my sleeves up to about mid-forarm legnth because I prefer it. You don't want the legs long enough to catch your heel during a kick or anything mind. Keep it practical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: