Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Help tracking down a kata Reply with quote

I was talking with a friend of mine who still does karate (whereas I quit, but then began doing kempo later on).

We found out some differences when talking about kata, for example, my style called a Kata Naihanchi Shodan, while his style called it Tekki Shodan.

His dojo taught a kata but mispelled the name (they write it down Yossno, while the real name is Yottsu No Kata), so we even thought his school made up a whole series of kata but it's a real kata that also exists in other styles.

Anyway, my question. There is ONE kata we cannot conciliate. It's not in my style, or in any other style I can think of. Have you ever seen this kata? What is it's lineage? Is the name in this video a mispelling and that's why we can't find it? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa0kyUJGIPU

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, but please don't quote me, but, I believe that it's of Shudokan linage; and the Kata in question isn't spelled incorrectly, as far as they're concerned. That Kata is also known as Kyoku 4, but not at all Shudokan dojo's. I've trained with several Shudokan Karateka's over the many years in the past, however, the last time I did train in Shudokan was back in 2001 or 2002.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe, as Sensei8 has already stated, that it is a kata from the Shūdōkan Lineage. It is rather noted for practising a number of kata unique to its lineage. However, depending on when the individual trained with Tōyama Kanken, the content of their version of Shūdōkan will differ. I believe Shūdōkan is/was quite popular on the West Coast of the U.S.A at some point, so perhaps that is where it got picked up?

That system does sound like a rather eclectic system if it identifies its version of Naihanchi by Tekki (The Shotokan designation) and also teaches the Yotsu no Kata. Yotsu no Kata was created by Mabuni Kenwa of Shi-To-Ryu fame, and is used as foundation kata in some branches of Shi-To-Ryu: others use the Juni-no-Kata series.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Perhaps, but please don't quote me, but, I believe that it's of Shudokan linage; and the Kata in question isn't spelled incorrectly, as far as they're concerned. That Kata is also known as Kyoku 4, but not at all Shudokan dojo's. I've trained with several Shudokan Karateka's over the many years in the past, however, the last time I did train in Shudokan was back in 2001 or 2002.

---

Wado Heretic wrote:
I believe, as Sensei8 has already stated, that it is a kata from the Shūdōkan Lineage. It is rather noted for practising a number of kata unique to its lineage. However, depending on when the individual trained with Tōyama Kanken, the content of their version of Shūdōkan will differ. I believe Shūdōkan is/was quite popular on the West Coast of the U.S.A at some point, so perhaps that is where it got picked up?

That system does sound like a rather eclectic system if it identifies its version of Naihanchi by Tekki (The Shotokan designation) and also teaches the Yotsu no Kata. Yotsu no Kata was created by Mabuni Kenwa of Shi-To-Ryu fame, and is used as foundation kata in some branches of Shi-To-Ryu: others use the Juni-no-Kata series.

This is fascinating. Thanks so much guys.

I am so intrigued by this kyoku kata. If I search for pinan/heian/tekki, etc videos, you will find hundreds. But Kyoku kata seem almost unknown in the world of youtube? How come?

My friend does like in the west coast, by the way.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

---

Wado Heretic wrote:

This is fascinating. Thanks so much guys.

I am so intrigued by this kyoku kata. If I search for pinan/heian/tekki, etc videos, you will find hundreds. But Kyoku kata seem almost unknown in the world of youtube? How come?

My friend does like in the west coast, by the way.

To the bold type above...

Perhaps there are not many Shudokan practitioners that aren't interested in posting anything anywhere, including YouTube and/or the lack of how to use YouTube or, well, there might be a lot of varied reasons to your question.

Club "NAHA" K
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Club "NAHA" Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a sixth degree black belt in Shudokan and I may be able to help you know more about this kata. The name of the Kata is call Kyoky Yondan (Rising Sun #4) and it's the fourth kata out of seven that were developed by Hanshi Isao Ichikawa. He was a student of Toyama Kanken (founder of the Shudokan dojo) and my understanding is that Hanshi Isao Ichikawa developed these kata during his time at the Shudokan dojo. Later Isao Ichikawa developed his own "style" and named it Doshinkan. It is primarily styles that derive from Hanshi Isao Ichikawa's Shudokan/Doshinkan that practice these kata.

I hope that was helpful
and have a great day!

Craig

Also, that link is from my Youtube channel
Club “NAHA” Karate-Do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: