Add KarateForums.com
KarateForums.com Offline for Migration on September 5
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

username19853
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Help! training in an apartment building Reply with quote

Hey everyone! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here, just been busy with life and whatnot.

So I moved into a new apartment building. It has hardwood floors and plenty of space for kata and exercise. The problem, now that I don’t live near any dojos, is that I don’t have anything to actually strike! Can you guys help me brainstorm some things I can use/build, like a makiwara, to practice striking without disturbing my neighbors? Or as minimally as possible at least.

Could I go find a tree? Yes. Do I want to? No. Lol.

Thank you everyone!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find instructions all over the internet for different versions of makiwara, if that's what you're interested in. The Wavemaster standing heavy bag is hard to beat, too. Although it won't swing like a nice heavy bag, you can work around it, and you can roll it out of the way to a corner when you're done.

username19853
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my problem with the wavemaster and others like it is that they make a LOT of noise when I hit them. Something about the base area, my neighbors below me would hate it lol

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cheap, no thrills makiwara, my old CI would take a nice, thick piece of wood, take a pool noodle apart and glue it to the wood, and wrap it in canvas. He nailed his to a tree, but had a version with a longer piece of wood, made a very simple base, and weighted it down with sandbags so that it wouldn't rock. That's not an awful solution for apartments if you're worried about neighbors.

If you're looking at a heavy bag set up. I hope you have a lot of spending money.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, nothing you can strike with power is going to be quiet--it just isn't suited to apartments. My recommendation would be to get one of the spring-loaded reflex bags on weighted bases, and work on your accuracy and reaction time. For hitting hard, invest in a good kicking shield and find a friend willing to hold it for you on occasion.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

username19853
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!

Zaine, that’s a great, cheap idea that I might actually try lol

Mr. Noah, I LOVE the idea of getting a spring loaded reflex bag - didn’t even think of that.

I also ordered some kinda resistance bands for punching. Comes with a weird vest, I’m feeling optimistic.

Thanks again!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please update us on how it goes, Sean!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: