Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been told 3 different ways of doing this kata and i was just wondering if anyone knows which is the right way.

on the first set of defences(blocking oizuki) is it :

Escape (with no block or guard) maeken(jodan) double cross-step(mawette), escape with shatouki block maeken double cross-step

or :

Escape with a sukui uke jodan GAURD(not an active block just gaurding the face) maeken, mawette etc..

On the second set(blocking maegeri) i have been doing :

Sukui uke Gedan, jodan maeken, jodan shuto strike, mawette then gedan berai etc..

but i was told last night (5 days before my grading) that it is not sukui uke but a block that i think is called shoteuke, you bring both hands round in a 3/4 circle and knock(strike) the kick to the side with the heel of the leading palm.

any thoughts as to which on is right ??

Thanks in advance

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have this a alot - especially in clubs where instructors have come from different backgrounds.

You have to remember that there is no such thing as a 'right' way, unless there is a really massive ridiculous 'difference' (we had a problem in our 2 clubs with the "kosa-uke" in Heian Sandan.)

But back on the topic - I actually don't know this kata - may I ask what style you practice?

Hope this helps

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, i do 'Sei Do Ryu' it's an Okinawan style very similar to Wado-Ryu but mixed with aspects of other -ryu styles and a bit of shotokan. I have been told recently that it is quite a secretive style and not many people have access to the so called 'bible' - a handwritten book outlining the style. That is all i know about it so far.

The Kata is the first of the partnered routines, one attacks one defends and then you mawette back-2-back and the defender double-steps to switch stances.
The attacks are fairly easy, 1oizuki - mawette - oizuki- mawette. 2Maegeri -mawette-maegeri-mawette. 3mawashi geri jodan - mawette - mawashi geri jodan - mawette. 4oizuki jodan(KIAI).
The defences are
1 & 2 in last post, 3 is yokouke- maeken- strike shuto- mawette, Kokutsu dachi- yokouke- maeken- strike shuto- mawette.
4 is short escape + *(KIAI)an inside shatouke- gyakazuki chudan- strike shato chudan.
*I'm not sure about this, you bring both hands round in a semi-circle then strike down and accross on the incoming arm with the shato part of the hand, closing them down instead of opening them up as with a normal shatouke.

I know what your saying about there not being a 'right' way to do things, but if 3 of the examiners are all looking for different things, what do you do?

2 of the instructors are like student instructors, higher than black belt but not ready to take their own class yet, so we have quite a few problems.

Kosa-uke is in our style but i don't think i've done it yet, we mainly do Juji uke , is it similar? and our katas are Pinan shodan..nedan etc..

Cheers

Chris

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

Yeah, I suppose I could have guessed what style you do - it just goes to show how much attention I pay!!! LOL

I am not familiar with that kata.

Juji-uke is an X-block, with the arms crossed.
Kosa-uke is done with one arm doing gedan barai, whilst the other doing an uchi-uke.

RE: The 3 different examiners - That is a major problem in many schools without an over-ruling instructor that teaches.

At the moment, at our club my father and I are the people that set the techniques, and our senior coaches follow what we say.

The problem arises at our other club, but the instructors/coaches there work well together, and any problems tend to get ironed out immediately.

But at gradings, there isn't really a problem.

Hope this is OK, but I'm a bit brief at the moment....tired...so very tired

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sound, cheers.

Yes, i think that's the way it's meant to work at our club too, but you know how things go.

At the gradings there are 3 other votes but our Sensei(my Uncle,luckily for me) has the final say So i go with what he says when i get a chance to ask him.

I managed to get an answer on the kata question before my grading so everything is cool now.

Cheers again
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: