Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever had anything terribly interrupt your workout schedule and screw it up before? Isn't it the worst thing!? You are into it, at the point that you wanted, your goal, really into it for months and get hit by a really bad flu or something that knocks you out for a week or two and makes you have to build yourself back up again? Of course, the good thing about working out and staying in top shape, is that you have less chance of getting sick, or sick as long as most other people do -- provided you eat healthy too. Sometimes getting back into working out after a slump can really suck and it's hard work, but it's better to not delay and do it anyway.

I read between sets myself. I also do work between sets too. I have the luxury of working from home online, so I can walk away and do bag work, have people over and spar, work out, train, stretch or anything I want. It's pretty cool, I admit I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Aug 4, 2001 4:12am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What messes me up is waking up late.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah TIm, that's basically what i'm going thru... i'm doing an English course (one of 4 courses i'm doing) and it demands that i read 6 novels (5 of which are over 500 pages)... I don't have the time.

But if i wanna get back into my workouts i just watch a martial arts movie and i'm all inspired again.

Angus

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I have been busy working in Dallas the last week. Anway,

Weight training does NOT slow a person down, that is just a myth made up by people that don't like muscular guys. If you train for power in your weight training, you will find your punches and kicks will be faster, actually. To train for power, I suggest doing only 3 sets at the maximum and 6-8 reps or lower. Push yourself and try to get the repetition with explosiveness.

How much you weight train will be up to you and your coach to figure out. I train about 3 times a week for 20minutes a session with weights. I can bench-press 400# and no one doubts the speed or power of my punches and kicks. Make sure you work your legs too.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been training for many years, but just to get it stright, do you lift heavy weight with low reps ( 4 to 7 reps) to build strengh and do middle weight with higher reps ( 8 to 12 reps) to building up the beef right? That is what I was told by Mans Health mag.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alternate days. Every other day, I work out my upper half, and the alternating day, I work out my lower half. I work out for about an hour or more each day. This way, I can get the maximum to build my muscles and power for each half, while letting the other build/heal.

Geez, Ken, 400 pounds, you are a friggin' monster! I never attempt to lift any amount of weight that I can't at least lift in reps of 4 or 5, never. So, I don't know how much I could bench, but I think if I tried 400 pounds, I would die after the bar fell on my chest and crushed me.

Anyway, I agree that it doesn't interfere, provided you do it properly -- and it can slow you down if you don't. Of course, that goes without saying for any type of physical activity, it has to be done right.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i could bench press 200 pounds! But then again i'm not a bodybuilder. I'm getting better though...

Angus

g
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the thai lift weights or any other martial arts focus on weights rather than members doing them independantly

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome.... g..... to this forum..........

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, any martial art has a long history of lifting weights. Chinese kung fu, for example, lift stones, "huge trees", and transport two buckets of water one one each hand with the arm rised up to train the shoulders. It is not weights like we train with but weights are weights.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: