Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Liam_Sullivan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all
I want too know from you people what kind of medicine do you use on your shins and also how you make them harder my mum pratices aromatherapy and should know most medicines
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do hundreds or even thousands of kicks on a heavy bag or pads. That way you develop power, speed, endurance and balance while your shins get tough. Not sure about the medicine though, once I went to a Kung Fu class with a guy I worked with, we did some palm toughening work, basically just get someone to give big killer slaps on your palms, and after the class had some ointment to put on, there were two types, one was penetrating, for deeper bruising, the other was more for skin. It went something like that it was ages ago, sorry!

Liam_Sullivan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi does rolling a glass bottle up and down your shins work cos some guy i know told me thats how you do it and also what bag shud i get like what the ideal weight for a begginer of Muay Thai
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start kicking the bag, start kicking lightly at first. Gradually increase the power so that you are kicking full power. Don't forget to stop every so often to massage your shins! Massage the shins vigourously to get the blood flowing back into them. This promotes faster healing of the bruised flesh and any damage to the bone.
You might also like to invest in Boxing Liniment (basically it's Ben Gay). Massage your shins with that before and after you kick.
Do not "tap" or "beat" your shins with sticks, boards, bottles, etc. This causes bruises, knots, etc to form on the shin. These painful little areas may stick with you for quite some time.
As you mentioned... find a cylindrical object such as a rolling pin or bottle, and roll it lightly up and down the full length of the shin. Do this for at least 20 min's per shin.
Just remember to kick the heavy bag and/or Thai pads. You should kick over 100 times each day....gradually increasing.
Good Luck!
Deby

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-09-26 04:46 ]

Liam_Sullivan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would kicking pillars and tree's stuff up my shins

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong ..(and I'm sure you muay thai paractitioners will if I am!) but this is an old practice that is now obsolete and hard shins can now be developed through the use of modern equipment..heavy bag and pads. Thai Boxers train by kicking trees is based on fact. Thai boxers are known for their rigourous physical conditioning, and in particular, their extremely hard shins.
However, Thai boxers have not always had access to such equipmnt such as heavy bags/pads so kicking trees was common especially the banana tree.
A banana tree is not hardwood like most trees found. (hard to come by in the States!)Banana trees have a softer, more plant-like trunk which will give a little when kicked. Thai boxers would not start off by kicking a tree with full force, rather they would start kicking slowly without much power until the shins would eventually toughen to withstand the punishment. (Much like you would if you began heavy bag conditioning as I mentioned above. Trees are sometimes still used today for training. Thai boxers kick them with minimal power in order to improve speed and accuracy.
There are those who are capable of kicking trees without any real harm to themselves but FEW ... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!
Deby

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't really toughening your shins when you "condition" your shin, what you are doing is making the nerves less sensitive. I wouldn't recommend any rolling of anything up and down the shin. I never massaged my shins either, and I was kicking full force from day one into the heavy bag and thai pads. You might get a little bruise the first few days of training, but you'll get used to it and it'll stop. Just keep kicking the bags and don't worry about shin-conditioning.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling is a good conditioning technique, do make sure you massage afterwards. Always massage from the ankles up. You are not trying to kill the nerves, but rather build up the tissue.

The medicine utillized is to promote circulation. The medicine best used is a herbal wine mix. Sorry bud, but I'm not at liberty to really share what is in it or how to make it. There are good herbal wines and bad ones. My advice is that if you can find a place to buy it if it has a vineger aroma to it...don't use it (people often use the vineger to lower the cost -- instead of wine). Most people will refer to the win in Cantonese as "Dit Da Jow", you can also find recipies on the net, but the ones I have seen are not very good.

Best to talk to your instructor about this kind of training, or find someone who can assist you in person.

Good Luck.

Liam_Sullivan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all
do i use a boxing bag for these kicks youse talk about and do you have too be pretty pain resistenet too toughen up your shins cos right now my right shin when i push down on the lower bit its hurt so shud i rest it or do light kicking/rolling

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to kick with the upper shin/knee portion of my leg or the middle part of the shin. I find it transfers more mass into my kick and it really hurts the opponent more than me, which is always a plus. The lower part of the shin will always be a bit more sensitive, there are many nerve endings there.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: