Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

majin2912
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started a couple months back with Goju-Ryu. I found myself in the same position as ONeAndOnly. I had studied Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu but something about them never clicked (I do think it's more the teacher than the style). So I saw this film called Blackbelt (Kuro-Obi) and it featured Goju style. I really liked it and a lot of karateka's said very positive things about the style and the film. So I began at age 41 (going on 42) overweight and out of shape. And I still am! Heck, nothing changes overnight. The work outs are hard but I'm loving it. I find Goju very effective for my body type (shorter and stocky) and because it employs some elements of Chinese kung fu, my learning of it has been fairly fast.

Sempai started teaching self defense applications of it today and it was awesome! Unlike the katas I have learned, these techniques are super practical (defense against wrist grab, lapel grab, neck choke, hair grab). Not to say I dislike the kata. I practice them all of the time.

Anyhow, I fully endorse Goju. I am one of the most unmotivated people I know and I'm still sticking with it. Just signed up for a year and probably going for my yellow grading next month. Osu!

Edit- As for Japanese culture, my wife is Japanese-Canadian and I love her and her family dearly. I find their culture far more compelling than mine (general Canadian white bread background, nothing special)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: