Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DauntlessDruid
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Hi from New York Reply with quote

Hi there everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a woman from Upstate New York and a current Isshinryu practitioner. I've been studying Isshinryu for about two years, and I just became a San-Kyu (three belts away from Shodan) about a month ago. Prior to Isshinryu, I studied TKD when I was a kid, and Western Boxing, Muay Thai, and a (very) little BJJ in my early to mid-twenties.

I got back into martial arts a couple years ago to try and get back into shape and finding the gym boring. It's one of the best things I've ever done as the Dojo I belong to is very much like a big extended family and the people there are great along with it being really fun.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome. I am from Vancouver and I mainly practice boxing but am very fond of Karate. I envy your location, you guys have incredible boxing gym like gleason.

Besides Isshinryu, have you tried other karate styles and if so, how do you find them different with one another?

DauntlessDruid
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
Hi and welcome. I am from Vancouver and I mainly practice boxing but am very fond of Karate. I envy your location, you guys have incredible boxing gym like gleason.

Besides Isshinryu, have you tried other karate styles and if so, how do you find them different with one another?

I actually haven't done any other style of karate besides Isshinryu. BJJ just wasn't my cup of tea (no knock against it just wasn't for me), but I did enjoy Muay Thai. The places in my area tend to be MMA focused and if you wanted to progress behind the basic classes where you just hit pads (which became boring and repetitive fairly quickly), you needed to be willing to spar full contact. As I am an average sized woman and the gym was primarily populated by 20-something guys that had aspirations of semi-pro or pro MMA careers, I found the danger of sparring them to outweigh what I was getting out of it.

I found my current Dojo after doing some research and contacting some TKD, TSD and Karate schools in my area. My original plan was to go back to TKD or try TSD as I like to kick (and that is primarily what's offered in the area), but I didn't like most of the schools in my area. They had mixed age classes almost exclusively, and while I like kids I don't want to train with them. It also seemed like most of them had very young black belts and I don't really agree with giving black belts to very young kids.

My current Dojo offered adult only classes and the curriculum interested me, as they include throws, joint locks, and some grappling, along with striking. So I tried them out and the rest, as they say, was history.

*Edited to Add* Though I haven't practiced other styles of Karate, I am aware that Isshinryu does have some unique features that don't occur in other Okinawan styles. The most noticeable being the vertical punch with the thumb on top, and also the two bone blocks (i.e we block with the meaty part of the art).

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome from a fellow upstate New Yorker. I’m in Troy (next door to Albany).

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, DauntlessDruid. Glad to have you.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DauntlessDruid wrote:
Himokiri Karate wrote:

I actually haven't done any other style of karate besides Isshinryu. BJJ just wasn't my cup of tea (no knock against it just wasn't for me), but I did enjoy Muay Thai. The places in my area tend to be MMA focused and if you wanted to progress behind the basic classes where you just hit pads (which became boring and repetitive fairly quickly), you needed to be willing to spar full contact. As I am an average sized woman and the gym was primarily populated by 20-something guys that had aspirations of semi-pro or pro MMA careers, I found the danger of sparring them to outweigh what I was getting out of it.

I found my current Dojo after doing some research and contacting some TKD, TSD and Karate schools in my area. My original plan was to go back to TKD or try TSD as I like to kick (and that is primarily what's offered in the area), but I didn't like most of the schools in my area. They had mixed age classes almost exclusively, and while I like kids I don't want to train with them. It also seemed like most of them had very young black belts and I don't really agree with giving black belts to very young kids.

My current Dojo offered adult only classes and the curriculum interested me, as they include throws, joint locks, and some grappling, along with striking. So I tried them out and the rest, as they say, was history.

*Edited to Add* Though I haven't practiced other styles of Karate, I am aware that Isshinryu does have some unique features that don't occur in other Okinawan styles. The most noticeable being the vertical punch with the thumb on top, and also the two bone blocks (i.e we block with the meaty part of the art).

Right on, good to hear. I agree on giving black belts to very young kids. Personally, if they show an ability to fight or the ability to deliver self-defense strike, then its fine. But if they are just getting black belts simply for showing up, then its not right.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! My only experience in Upstate NY has been in Utica, where my friend lives, and I've visited a few times.

I live in Michigan's UP, so we have an "Upstate" and a "Downstate" as well!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, DauntlessDruid; glad that you're here!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: