Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spiderlegs
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Hi guys, newbie here lookin for a bit of advice. Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is my first post so hey, my deal is this, I want to get into Karate again, I did it for a while when I was about 14, im 24 now, I got as far as my second belt and then stopped for some unknown reason which I definitly regret now, im trying to choose a style and thats where I could use the help, there are 2 place near me that look alrite, one is a Shotokan school and the other is Seido, the Shotokan sounds alot better and sounds pretty similar to what I did before but the Seido is alot cheaper, I've checked out a few posts here and it seems some people dont have a very high regard for the Seido, Im just wondering I guess, which one you guys recommend. Im goin along to the Shotokan tomorrow for a free go anyway to see what its like but any input from you guys would be awesome.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hi guys, newbie here lookin for a bit of advice. Reply with quote

Spiderlegs wrote:
Hey guys, this is my first post so hey, my deal is this, I want to get into Karate again, I did it for a while when I was about 14, im 24 now, I got as far as my second belt and then stopped for some unknown reason which I definitly regret now, im trying to choose a style and thats where I could use the help, there are 2 place near me that look alrite, one is a Shotokan school and the other is Seido, the Shotokan sounds alot better and sounds pretty similar to what I did before but the Seido is alot cheaper, I've checked out a few posts here and it seems some people dont have a very high regard for the Seido, Im just wondering I guess, which one you guys recommend. Im goin along to the Shotokan tomorrow for a free go anyway to see what its like but any input from you guys would be awesome.

First, welcome to the forums! Thanks for joining us.

As for your question, I'm a little biased in this. I have a 3rd degree black belt in shotokan and, therefore, lean that way. I find the art fun, somewhat challenging and a great way to spend time. Depending on where you are, the art can be very political however. You'll have to try it out and see if it is or not.

The standard advice of this situation is always to try out both schools and see what you like best.

After doing that, my choice would be the one that focuses mostly on partner drills, self defense and physical fitness. But that's what I like to do.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Spiderlegs
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply man, what do you mean exactly when you say it can be political and is there any advice you could offer on what good things or bad things I should look for when I check out the school.

Thanks

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spiderlegs, I do shotokan myself and I think it's fun. I also did some kung fu. And for me both styles are nice, but if I would had to choos I'd take karate because teacher and other students in class are realy nice and friendly.
So you should also go to both karate clubs and see which one would you like more. Try talking to student from both schools and get their opinion.

Spiderlegs
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went along to the Shotokan place tonight for a class and I gotta say, it really wrecked me, its a propper workout, I defo like it, the instructor seems pretty cool and he teaches very clearly, Id say im probably gonna go with Shotokan unless this other place is amazing, im defo gonna have to get myself more in shape though.

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately try both, and pick the one you like better.

Snake
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Previously Muay Thai. Now Kyokushin Kaikan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Seido Juku or Seido Kaikan?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: