Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Anna

Great question! The main thing I remember from my first day is being paired with an older kid who told me to make my front stance as wide as the tramlines on the tennis court we training on. I still remember it now and say it to all the kids who train with me.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, webcrest!

My first day was kind of nerving. A friend of mine invited me to class, so I had a connection in there. Very quickly, though, I was making more friends and moving along very well. My friend eventually stopped training, and I have kept on. Funny how things work out.

Enjoy your time here, and we look forward to your comments!

Archangel
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ketsu-Ka Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome! I remember walking into the dojo and stating I was just there for exercise. I had taken martial arts before...Tae Kwon Do years ago, and a little Tang Soo Do as well, years ago. I knew it was good exercise and so wanted to join for that purpose. I was not interested in fighting or earning belts. I have been going to my school for a year now, 2 to 3 times a week, and have progressed to green belt. I've done a demonstration in town and hope to test for purple soon. I guess I "got involved". I really loved it my first time and kept going. The classes are tough and I wondered if I had made a mistake signing up for this. I am a bit older than most of the students, but at a recent testing, I noticed many older women who were black belts, even Grand Masters. I'm sure they started young, but it gives me hope.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to KF!!

My first day was hard. It was a Tuesday which is our conditioning night. After class I couldn't even take a drink of water because I was shaking after the exertion and spilt it all down myself. I was hooked from then on.

Mo.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Welcome to the forum!!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Anna.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I kind of had two first days. My first first day was when you was 18, so 22 years ago. I was and wasn't nervous at the same time. My girlfriend at the time started a month or 2 before I did, and I watched her a few times before I started. I knew what to expect. It was a one on one lesson for the first half hour with a senior student. She taught me the protocol so to speak; where to line up, how to bow, what the stuff meant, etc. After that I joined class for the rest of the hour. I honestly don't remember much of that part.

My second first day was a year and a half ago. I'd been out of karate for 15 years and restarted at a dojo that was very similar to my old one. I was excited and a bit nervous. Not nervous about what anyone would think of me, but nervous about how I'd do; I wanted to pick up where I left off. I started at white belt and earned every belt all over again. I had 2 left feet and 2 left hands. In hindsight I did pretty good for being away that long. I remembered most of it, but my body didn't listen to my brain very well. And I was pretty sore the next day or two.

The most important class is your next class. Don't get hung up on where you started. Don't get too high my up about where you are today. Just try to be better your next class.

Keep at it and stick around here. Lots of great people with a ton of quality experience and insight that enjoy sharing all of that hang out here.

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was super excited because I had wanted to take formal martial arts for many years. I spent the first class walking on duct tape strips. Humbling

"If you allow it, you'll have it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: