Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Do you think karate is right for me?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 13 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Anazoth
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Hi ^_^ Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and karate in general. I have always wanted to do a martial arts and had a high interest in karate.

I'm 23 years old and have NEVER done a martial arts before in my life. I am also slightly overweight and as unfit as i can be. I am hoping that karate could help boost my fitness, stamina and confidence, do you think it will be right for me and do you think i would be able to keep up? I have horrible flexibility and can barely lift my leg over my waste lol, i was hoping this would make me more flexible aswell.

I am VERY nervous about this, please give some honest feetback and suggestions, thanks

Also, what should i expect at a 1st beginner class?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF!!!!!!!!

Visit several different schools of the MA, and in that, visit several classes to get a sense of whether that school is what you're looking for.

As far as your many concerns, they [concerns] will fade away in do time, and no time sooner. Give the required efforts your undivided attention, and in that, give your training 1,000 percent. Practice often and practice with an urgency and with the sense of "just one more...just one more...just one more. Your body will want you to quit at the onslaught, but don't give into your first inclinations to do so. It's, the MA, is suppose to be hard, difficult, and racked with many trials and tribulations. If the MA was easy; everyone would be doing it.

I believe that you'll be fine across the board. Listen to your instructors, and pay close attention to your Chief Instructor over all. Be respectful to your seniors as well as your fellow class mates, and above all, respect the floor; which is forever unyielding to your every high and low moment within your training and the like.

Good luck!! TRAIN HARD AND LONG!!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like.. well, most of the people who start a martial art, honestly.. usually if you want to start learning a skill, it isn't because you're already good at it! It's because you want to become able to do it. Martial arts are one good way to stop being "out of shape" and get your body to where you feel a lot more happy with how it works.

Other easy things you can do as well to help get your endurance up to a point where it's not actively awful that you can start doing right this instant include: Quit parking by the door and park in the first spot you see period; quit driving and ride your bike/walk/ride a bus every chance you can (this means actually checking the schedules and whatnot because most people don't see things they don't use); stop using elevators for any less than three floors difference; walk in place or pace when you're standing around waiting for stuff; drink more water and less soda (if you eat at a fast food restaurant with a fountain, and you must get a drink, the first fillup of your cup will contain water. Save the sweet stuff for the second cup after your body isn't screaming to be hydrated.)

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you can do is try, maybe your first class won't be what you expect, but try different schools. With a good instructor, almost any style has it's benefits. Please be patient until you find one you are happy with. Good Luck

Anazoth
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, i've found a school that i'm interested in, apparently most of the beginners are kids though which I will feel a bit weird about. I'll bring my little nephew with me so i don't come across as a creep haha.

I've asked to sit in on a class (not take part) to see if it's right for me.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF! Martial Arts is great for anyone willing to put in the work! Effort is always rewarded-one way or another!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anazoth wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, i've found a school that i'm interested in, apparently most of the beginners are kids though which I will feel a bit weird about. I'll bring my little nephew with me so i don't come across as a creep haha.

I've asked to sit in on a class (not take part) to see if it's right for me.

Without taking part you can't make a judgement its similar to watching from the beach to see if swimming is right for you.

The good thing about Karate is it is YOUR journey, you get out of it what YOU want, I always tell my students Karate molds itself around YOU not YOU around Karate.

DOn't worry about fitness, you will become fit through your own KARATE training. you're not expected to be at he same level as the blackbelts. Its a journey and they've trained for years to get that fit.

Just enjoy it and don't rush it

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome!

When it comes to training, you really just have to dive right in. Don't worry about your current condition, because adding MA training to your days can only bring about improvement!

As for answering whether Karate would be right for you or not, its really tough for any of us to answer that. Every school is different, even within styles, and each style has a bit of a different approach. Start with Karate, and see how it grows with you. It may be for you, or, you may grow to the point where you want to seek a different aspect of training. That's what the MA journey is all about. Go and enjoy!

JCavin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite quotes by Miyamoto Musashi: "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: