Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
The perception of a Human can transcend the five senses. You don't need narcotics to do this. You do it when you dream. Being aware of more than the apparent is not spooky, children do it all the time; adults have just thought too much to allow it. I once asked a Psychiatrist friend "All the feelings come from me, don't they?", "Not always" she said. Some of us feel the rain - Others just get wet. Osu!

I guess the difference between me and others is that I don't really care to "transcend" anything. I just want to do my thing, and seek what I want when I want to. I'm not really looking for any "truth."

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
I agree to a point, but I think that little voice deserves some attention. We know and learn more than we can keep track of. That's why often when you are trying to remember something, often the best thing to do is to walk away and let it come to you when it will.
Sure, but that has nothing to do with your internal monologue. People tend to think that they are the monologue, but the monologue is actually about as involved in controlling our actions at any given moment as a radio sportscaster is controlling the teams on the field.
Quote:
There's an idea I believe 100 percent. How you behave with no fear of repercussion says everything.
Sure, it's a great idea, but is it a transcendently profound idea? that tends to be where the split is.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
Sure, it's a great idea, but is it a transcendently profound idea? that tends to be where the split is.

Here is the question, can we discount such things just because they are mundane to us, or do such things have value despite seeming superstitious?

Back to Drew's question oif someone improving their character by doing pushups- if the idea is to be stronger to better serve others, I say yes. Whether or not a person attaches spiritual connotations is of little consequence to actual practice. But if choosing to do so helps them, all the better. Why else do addiction programs often involve a vaguely defined higher power?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addiction programs have a "vaguely defined higher power" because of the way habit change works. Under pressure, more survival-oriented parts of the brain have a bit of a "crisis of faith" and try to do it the way it learned before, because the old way wasn't getting it killed. If your new habit is built on an assertion that "This just works better", then when put under heavy stress, the survival based bits are going to revert to the old way, instead of the new-fangled way. Faith is essentially a goal orientation that can be fed to those bits of the brain - "We aren't just doing this because it works, we're doing this because doing it the new way is a goal that will help us.". It changes the directive from "Do what works (and we think the new way works, but you're dubious mr. lizard-brain)" to "Do it this way because that's who we are now and what we do."
There's a lot of primitive bits of our brains that need to be convinced of things in different particular ways, or which work best when given input in ways that might not be immediately apparent. That particular bit responds to that sort've input.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all too complicated for me.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
There's a lot of primitive bits of our brains that need to be convinced of things in different particular ways, or which work best when given input in ways that might not be immediately apparent. That particular bit responds to that sort've input.

Exactly. This is what I was getting after. As advanced as we are, there will always be something primitive in our natures. It's why martial arts will never be obsolete. Humanity will always have conflict and violence. The primitive drives of man will always outweigh reason on occasions. As a species, we arrogantly consider ourselves higher than other beings, but bucks in rut do not intentionally kill each other. Humans kill over things much less tangible than they fight for.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
As a species, we arrogantly consider ourselves higher than other beings, but bucks in rut do not intentionally kill each other. Humans kill over things much less tangible than they fight for.
Ravens not only will kill other ravens for interfering in their social order, but have been seen to ritually desecrate the body in very distinctive and non-random ways afterward. Dolphins have been seen raping and killing dolphin kids for no real apparent reason. We can't even claim uniqueness in our criminality.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, never knew that about dolphins. You never hear anything bad about that animal. I've learned something today. And that animal is considered one of the most intelligent on the planet.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Wow, never knew that about dolphins. You never hear anything bad about that animal. I've learned something today. And that animal is considered one of the most intelligent on the planet.

Brains are overrated.

Unless you're a zombie.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Brains are overrated.

Unless you're a zombie.
Now that's deep....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: