Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hikite or Fichidi Reply with quote

GojuRyu Bahrain wrote:
P.A.L wrote:
in both Shorin-ryu and Goju-ryu I use the hikite hand for OSAE (pushing forward or holding down while in contact) . also hikite hand is my primary bocking/Receiving hand before my front hand. I do two hand blocks even in my Shorin-ryu Shorinkan katas, I just don't show it like Goju-ryu.

Wouldn't that be more of "Mushimi" principle, i.e., stickiness? I'd use Hikite deliberately (and differently from the stickiness that you describe) to secure an opponents limb (arm) to my torso and get it locked tight onto my body, which allows to apply the maximum amount of force (e.g., for most throws or breaks).

OSAE is mostly a shorin-ryu concept, so Muchimi in its broad range could be Osae. in Muchimi you fill the void so you always have a contact in Osae I press forward keeping in mind that Shuri-te blocking is more of a striking not receiving as in Naha-te.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hikite or Fichidi Reply with quote

shortyafter wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
The explanation was that the centrifugal force generated in this action of pulling/ pushing acted like a spring, increasing the speed and power of the arm extending to strike. This, IMHO, is not the case and is faulty reasoning that a westerner came up with to explain what they did not understand. If this were true this method would be taught in boxing as well as all fighting arts to maximize power. The other faulty premise in those not training in traditional arts is that it leaves you vulnerable as your entire body is open. Again this is a case of not understanding what Fichidi is.

I'm by no means an expert but isn't the idea of traditional karate one strike, one kill/KO? So leaving yourself open wouldn't necessarily be a problem, because theoretically the opponent would be down before he can counter. If you look at it that way the centrifugal force idea could make more sense. Whether or not the idea is actually valid, I don't know, but it would make more sense in karate than in boxing IMO.

That idea originally comes from Japanese swordsmanship, as best as I can tell. In karate, you will often hear "ikken hissatsu," which means something along the lines of "one fist (strike), certain death." In traditional Japanese swordsmanship, they refer to "ichigeki hissatsu," which means "one strike, certain death." In the use of a sword, that is a very literal maxim. With empty hands, it is simply not nearly as realistic. You should strive to end the fight as quickly as possible, yes, but you can't EXPECT to. You have to train for failure, not success.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hikite or Fichidi Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
shortyafter wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
The explanation was that the centrifugal force generated in this action of pulling/ pushing acted like a spring, increasing the speed and power of the arm extending to strike. This, IMHO, is not the case and is faulty reasoning that a westerner came up with to explain what they did not understand. If this were true this method would be taught in boxing as well as all fighting arts to maximize power. The other faulty premise in those not training in traditional arts is that it leaves you vulnerable as your entire body is open. Again this is a case of not understanding what Fichidi is.

I'm by no means an expert but isn't the idea of traditional karate one strike, one kill/KO? So leaving yourself open wouldn't necessarily be a problem, because theoretically the opponent would be down before he can counter. If you look at it that way the centrifugal force idea could make more sense. Whether or not the idea is actually valid, I don't know, but it would make more sense in karate than in boxing IMO.

That idea originally comes from Japanese swordsmanship, as best as I can tell. In karate, you will often hear "ikken hissatsu," which means something along the lines of "one fist (strike), certain death." In traditional Japanese swordsmanship, they refer to "ichigeki hissatsu," which means "one strike, certain death." In the use of a sword, that is a very literal maxim. With empty hands, it is simply not nearly as realistic. You should strive to end the fight as quickly as possible, yes, but you can't EXPECT to. You have to train for failure, not success.

Nail on the head!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortyafter,

To further expand on what Wastelander has already said... Ikken hissatsu is not a term we use.

It is possible to kill with a single strike. However the concept as I have said and as Wastelander has stated is to end the fight quickly. This does not mean that you're going to punch someone and kill them.

You elude to an opening not being an issue because the fight should be over after the initial strike. The thing is you are not open. The concept is that you have trapped the opponents attacking weapon and in so doing have prevented them from taking advantage of this perceived opening. The point is it's not an opening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: