Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bludhall
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if any of you are aware of the current rennaissance underway in the Western martial arts (WMA).
There are groups springing up all over the world.
The weaponry of the European arts is extremely diverse.
Longsword, sword & shield, polearms, axes and hammers just to name a few.

here are a few relevant websites

ARMA http:thehaca.com
AEMMA http://aemma.org

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats quite an interesting site!

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen the article in this months Martial Arts Illustrated about "traditional english boxing" or some such thing? What a load of bunkum!

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

bludhall
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The History Channel will air an episode of Modern Marvels, Tuesday, May 7th (unknown time) about "Swords, Axes, and Knives" which will feature ARMA.

The Association for renaissance martial arts is one of the best current groups exploring the lost Western Martial traditions and training techniques.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.frankdoc.in2home.co.uk/English%20Martial%20Arts.htm

Interesting... I always thought it was Britian's naval power that made them a super-power...

Wouldn't history indicate that earlier England's hand-to-hand martial arts were no better than France, or the Vikings, or the Scottish for that matter...

I think the US taught them a lot about ground war around 1776... i.e. camouflage can be useful, wearing a bright red coat is not a good idea when you're in a forest and your enemy is dressed in earthy colors and carrying a gun!

Just like today, the US Air Force and Navy is unmatched in terms of technology and firepower. But when it comes to dirty, on the ground struggle in jungle, mountains and other variable terrain against skilled guerillas, things have sometimes turned the other way...

Perhaps their is a lesson for martial artists there about the need to cope with change and prepare for the unexpected. How many of YOUR techniques would work in a different environment - narrow lane, sand, sloping hilly ground, long grass, water, a staircase?

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In those days it was considered unmanly, sneeky, unfair, cowardly and - if only they'd had the words then - the action of terrorists to fight like that! Even the submarine was considered rather bad form when it was first introduced into the theatre of war.

The European martial arts fell somwhat into disrepute since WW2 when eastern arts became trendy. However I am pleased to see a revivial in some of them. After all, if you practice the bo you should be interested in the quarterstaff, or the bokken with the sword/claymore etc.

Far from being considered weak, the French had a healthy respect for the English longbowmen and their range and power were legendary. It is told that the British insult of the V-sign originally came from one of the many wars between Great Britain and France, as any longbowmen captured by the French had their bow-drawing fingers cut off. The two fingers were then presented by the English in the traditional insult towards the French, as in I still have my two fingers and I know how to use them! (I believe Americans use a rather cruder one-fingered version of this) (story might well be untrue but it's still good!!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: