Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the Shang Dynasty[1751-111BC], weapons made of copper alloy were in use. Bronze weapons ushered in the era, and by the close ironware had come into being. During the Chou dynasty[1111-1022BC], new metalurgical techniques were directed toward improving agricultural implements rather than arms. As the power in the Chou Dynasty diminished, China was thrust inot a series of civil wars.
The first period is known as the spring and Autumn period[770-403 BC], the second is known as the warring states period[403-221 BC]. During these periods of civil unrest, each of the warring factions strived to produce stronger, and sharper weapons.
The Chin dynasty[221-206 BC], saw no new developments in weapons. After the Chin Dynasty came the Han Dynasty[206-220 AD]. The beginning of this era witnessed the first book about martial arts weapons fabrication. During this period China also had the first contact with a foriegn race.
After the Han Dynasty, came the Thre Kingdoms Dynasty[220-280 AD]. The Thre Kingdoms of Tsao-Tsao, Lui Peiu, and Sun Chien, added much to the history of martial arts weapons. It was during this period that a Black smith named Pu Yuan discovered the secret of water-quenching(cooling a metal quickly to make it harder and stronger).
The Liang Dynasty[502-557 AD] was unremarkable as far as weapons go, it did however mark the iniation of the Shao-lin Temple's involvement in the Martial Arts, an event that affected the developement of Chinese weapons for many centuries to come.( I can cover Shao-lin later in the History of the Martial arts, if anyone is interested.
The next two Dynasties, Chou Dynasty[557-581 AD] and the Sui Dynasty[581-618 Ad] were united under one ruler and shoed little progress in the way of new weapons.

More tommorrow night.

Tae

"Before destruction one's heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor."
Proverbs 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the different bodystyles can help determine teh weapon choice, other factors come into play. Culture, society and terrain. In heavy wooded areas, a lance is probably not the best choice of weapons, shorter weapons are more likely to be a better choice.
Also, some people just like certain weapons more than other, this is about self-expression here. I prefer knives and think everyone should learn how to use them, since knife techinques can be converted to use virtually anything as a knife just as you said about ancient weapons. Another thing to consider is that a knife is easily excessable, concealable and is very common out there in today's society.
Of course, being a weapons fan myself, I realize that once you learn one, you've learned the fundamentals of all weapons.

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think if you were a practioner..and not just a fan..then you would understand that just learning one weapon..doen't in any way give you the fundalmental in all weapons.

But it is one of those things..that you would actually have to practice to understand. Different weapons..although they can be used similar to another has different fundalmentals as far as philosophy and trainig.

However, the point is not what you carry on
you..it is in knowing how to pick anything up and us it. Sounds like if all you use is a knife it would limit you to just those techniques.

anyway, I am only here to put the history in...what you do or do not do with the knowledge is left up to you. Whether you or not you choose to try other weaponsiis left up to you..I think that everyone should learn the ancient weapons(which is also part of Kobudo), but then I believe a person should not limit themselves just to what they know.

Peace,
Tae

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tang Dynasty[618-907 AD], to this day remains one of the brightest eras in Chinese history. It was a time of peace, and produced many of the famous scholars, poets, and artists. The empoerors of this period encouraged the people to give up the martial arts in favor of more peaceful endeavors. The Tang Dynasty ended in 907 AD, when China was once again divided. Known as the Five Dynasties period[079-960 AD], this period only lasted 53yrs. The Sung Dynasty[960-1206 AD] reunited China once again. One of the most important events during this dynasty was the invasion of the GIN race from Siberia(northeast of China). Invasion by the Gin precipitated development of many new weapons and Martial arts. In part this evolution resulted from the Chinese banding together with them to battle a common enemy. Additionally, new weapons evloved from the mixture of the HAN(Chinese), and GIN(Siberian) armaments.
In 1206 AD, the Mongolians invaded China from the North. The established the Yuan Dynasty[1206-1368 AD]. This era produced many new weapons, as Yuan weapons and styles mixed with those of the Han and The Gin.
1368 AD, the Mongolians were defeted by the Han race and the Ming Dynasty[1368-1644 AD] began it long reign. The MIng witnessed a great expansion, with the influence of Buddhism. Buddhist priest not only spread through China, but also exported their preaching to Japan as well. With the priest went their weapons which were adapted by the Japanese for their own use.
The Han race was once again forced from power by foriegners in 1644 AD. This time it was the Manchurains. The Ching Dynasty[1644-1911 AD], in order to preserve its power, supressed all martial training in China. This time the Shao-lin Temple was completely destroyed and the monks that escaped, hid, and taught in secret for many years.
The locations famous for weapons during the Ching Dynasty are known, two areas LONG CHUAN and WU KAN, are in te Zurgian province in Eastern China. The third area, CHINN YOUNG is in the Hou Nan province, site of the Shao-lin temples.
Although not a very big area, Long Chuan attracted many great swordmakers because of its water. No one knows what qualities the water possesses, but great arms have been forged in that area for many centuries.
In 1911, Sun Yat-Sen lead a revolution of the Han people, and founded the Republic of China. The evolution in Chinese weapons, from stones picked from the river, to intricately carved swords mode of metal alloys to the gun took nearly 5,000 years.
Today martial artists the world over are resurrecting the art of the ancient Chinese weapons. However, today we appreciate the weapon as an art form rather than as a tool of combat.

More later.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. i'll take my post on weapons to the philipinno side, since that's where my training comes from. Yes, I am a practitioner of weapons, many weapons from Sarongs to knives, sticks to swords, nunchaku, spear, staff, shield and more. I am very adept at using paired weapons. Anyway, I'll go to the Filipinno weapon thread and post.

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am i...I have used all kinds of weapons for years...so if you already know all the waepons and how to use them...why the Questions?

This is just the history for the enjoyment of those who want to read it.

Anyway, good luck with your forum.

Peace,
Tae

This Message was edited by: Patrick on Jul 23, 2001 4:20pm

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First i would like to post some of the long weapons. These weapons were used from horseback, or chariots. Long weapons provided the martial artist with two major advantages over a warrior carrying a short weapon.
1) Greater killing potential because of the power inherent in the long and heavy weapon.
2) A strategic advantage in being able to strike an enemy before the short weapon could be used.
There was however, also disavantages.
1) Endurance was a problem because of the weight.
2) Carrying a long weapon for self-defense was impractical. The short weapon was easier to transport.
In spite of all this, many famous Chinese Generals carried them into battle.
Yeh Fei[Southern Sung Dynasty 1127-1279 AD] and Chi Gi Kwan[Ming Dynasty 1368-1644 A D] used the spear. Kuan Yu[Three Kingdoms 220-280 A D] chose the Long-Handled broad sword.
Please keep in mind that the weapons I am listing here are just a small example of Chinese weapons.
There were three very long weapons, varying in technique and size. All are first know to be used during the "Spring and Autumn period", and "the Warring states[770-221 B.C.]. These later evolved into the spear.

1) SHUO(18ft Tapered Ploe)
This 18ft. pole was used by warriors on horse back against enemies on horses, or in chariots. To increase the strength and resiliency it was commonly immersed in oil. The Shuo became very awkward at close range.

2) SHU(12 ft. Tapered pole)
The Shu was identical to the Shuo, except it was shorter..and therefore, a warrior had to learn to compensate for the difference in weight..It had the same purpose of the Shuo, but because it was much lighter..it could also be used by a weaker soldier. Because of the reduced weight. the Shu could be maneuvered with greater speed and flexibility.

3) GIAU-CHIZ(9 Ft. Tapered Pole)
This was similiar to the very long poles, with the addition of being used in ground to ground fighting..so the fundamentals had to change a little.

More tommorrow

Tae

Zaknafein
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a person learns how to use the ancient weapons correctly..Yes it does apply to modern society.
-Taesujutsudrw

hmm..one doesnt HAVE to learn weapons just because of self defence or some other benifits..like, i love weapons (especially sword and quarter staffs). i would rather learn how to use a sword than i would Muay Thai (which im learning right now). i dunna really need that much training in self defence right now (hey, i live in canada, we a peaceful peoplez
). i dunna know why i like weapons so much..just fascinated by them..i guess..

o yeah..in a battle, wouldnt foot soldiers use short swords regardless of height or strength? i mean, it would get pretty tight in a melee fight, and it would be really limiting to use those huge weapons effectively. i heard that this was the reason the romans used short swords...not sure tho, plz correct me if im wrong (politely!! )

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the sword is the general all-purpose weapon. But pole-arms are another weapons that foot soldiers can use to fight from behind the line or to keep an enemy at distance. When you have a team of fighters, the swordfighters can fight in melee while a spear from your teammate can help you out against the opponent. Polearms are a better choice against a mounted opponent too. There are all types of reasons for the use of different weapons, you just have to think a little bit about it.
You must also realize that swords were pretty expensive to make and wood was a much more abundant resource.

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foot soilders used both.

I will be getting to the swords...as I go along.

Peace,
Tae

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: