Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Arys
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: JKD/BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Hm.. What Martial Art should I take? Reply with quote

I took Wing Chun for a month.. But ever since school started Ive decided its too far away (1 hour to get there and get back meaning I get back at 11PM which is a bit late also considering that my school is an hour away which meant no time for HomeWork). Now I have found a couple places around my house. I have two Kyokushin, Gen-Ki Karate, Judo, Shotokan, TKD, and a Hapkido dojo. I am really not sure which one to chose. Could you maybe help me out by listing some of their weaknesses and strengths?

-Arys

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of it really has to do with the school. I would go and check out each of the schools, try a class and talk to the instructor. This way you will find out which school best meets your needs, and which environment you feel most comfortable in

I AM CANADIAN

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo has strong throws, with some groundwork, good grappling art. No striking and probably no weapons training.

Depending on the dojo, TKD will probably have a lot of kicks and not much handwork. If it's WTF, it's sport-orientated and poor for self defense. ITF, is more traditional and better for self defense. But then again, it might not be either of these two. Lacks grappling. Not sure about weapons training.

Hapkido is a well-rounded art, it incoporates striking, grappling and some weapons training I think.

www.kickboxing.com has a list of arts down the side and a description of the art with links to further information.

You have to decide what you want out of an art though. Do you want exercise, fun, self defense ? Then you need to know whether you want striking, grappling, weapons training. Or, all of it ? If that's the case, you might need to do a bit of cross training.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All martial arts have their Pros and Cons. I have studied like 8 different arts and can say for sure that for me there is nothing like Hap Ki Do. We cover all ranges of fighting and many of the same weapons that most other Korean systems do. Plus if the instructor at the HKD school has studied additional weapons then he/she will probebly include them in the ciriculum. Most HKD systems are soft fluid systems but some people include more karate based techniques in their studies and teachings. Basically for a good all around art Hap Ki Do is next to none. It is proven self defense and can be controling, agressive, or even deadly.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wont like to hear this.. but go watch each class. once you're done watching the classes and you still can't pick you should probably ask the forums about it. i think this would be the best idea.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that least resembles a mcdojo will probably do you the most good.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya wrote:
you wont like to hear this.. but go watch each class. once you're done watching the classes and you still can't pick you should probably ask the forums about it. i think this would be the best idea.

yeh i agree, go see a lesson of each this will really help i think.

Thai_Kick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD and Kali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try the Kyokushin dojo....
Full contact sparring, Sabaki tournaments, Kyokushin will get your mind and body TUFF!

Arys
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: JKD/BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see... Well I am kind of stucj between two of the arts.. Kyokushin Karate and Hapkido. I have a GrandMaster teaching at the Hapkido place by my house but I heard that it involves a GREAT deal of strength, does it? And the Kyokushin Karate plaec by my house seems sensible but the Masters son just died during training from exhaustion.. Im leaning towards Hapkido so far.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, make sure it's not a McDojang. Second, look for a good instructor(s), then choose the art from there. If they are all good, then I'd pick Hapkido. But that's just my opinion.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: