Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Home defense "video" Reply with quote

I pm'd this to some of the guys I know on here, and as per TallGeese's request, I'll post them on here too. This was spawned by my other thread on home defense statistics, and is fairly amusing.

This is an 8-bitish moving pictogram that I originally used to give my fiance' an idea of how one of the drills we were working on might go. The idea was to show it working, then me making a mistake, and that prompts her becoming active in the scenario. In this one, "G" is me, "B" is her, and "P" is Perpetrators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67AoDFqGd0I

I've spent a lot of time, off and on, in various home defense and shooting forums. You "learn" a few from the people there.
1) Only a .45 fired from a 1911 handgun can kill a man. Anything smaller only makes bad guys angry, and anything bigger will kill everyone in a 9 mile radius due to over-penetration.
2) You home will be invaded on a near daily basis.
3)Everyone has body armor on at all times.
4)The likelihood of being overrun by zombies, ninjas, and Terminators is 100%

For the fun of it, I put together this moving pictogram based on that information. G is me, B is her, Z is zombies, N is ninjas, P is police, and T is a Terminator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avTl6VfSn4

These were done by making evolving frames in mspaint, and then putting them together in windows movie maker. Both come free with windows, and the whole process took less than an hour. I figured that I'd just as well add music while I had the option.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first one, at least in my mind, was quite graphic and disturbing.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Home defense "video" Reply with quote

Liver Punch wrote:
I've spent a lot of time, off and on, in various home defense and shooting forums. You "learn" a few from the people there.
1) Only a .45 fired from a 1911 handgun can kill a man. Anything smaller only makes bad guys angry, and anything bigger will kill everyone in a 9 mile radius due to over-penetration.
2) You home will be invaded on a near daily basis.
3)Everyone has body armor on at all times.

I get aggravated with people that swear by and only by big calibers for self defense. Any gun if used properly is dangerous enough to be fatal. Its very sad, but 3 people are dead in ohio at the hands of a gunman with a .22 caliber weapon.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you thing went through the same thing in Feudal Japan? You know, naysayers who claimed that a tanto or wakizashi weren't big enough to kill anyone, and that you really needed a Katana to dispose of someone.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashi had a chapter in the Book of 5 Rings about how other schools of swordsmanship relied on a heavy or long sword, and how dumb it was. This is an old concept.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone needs a whole collection of these things for their home, I've put together some other ones and they're proving to be a pretty decent analytical/training tool.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Outstanding... Reply with quote

Not every gun owner believes in blowing a subsonic hole into the next dimension... you only need what you can 1)control, 2) use effectively, and 3) use effectively (not a repeat as an error, repeated for effect!!!)...
I have a .45, I also have a .25... The one that is more dangerous is the one that gets into someone else's hands, or is used poorly. I have others, but common sense keeps me from listing all of my 'bag o' tricks'...lol. I employ what makes sense, nothing less... and nothing more. You need a .45 like you 'need' a Ferrari... Like all of us here already believe, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: