Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used thumb up and thumb down, and it depends on what my next move is and what the range is, which way i do it. I've never been really happy with horizontal, for many reasons, but i believe in using what feels comfortable to you.

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferences are:

Close range - thumb facing you
Medium range - thumb up
Long range - thumb down (old Muay Thai name - buffalo swing - wiang kwai)

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beermug down is what we call a corkscrew hook, we use it from longish range. Personally I hate it, can't get any power at all.

In close I tend to go beer mug up but tilting away from you for body shots. Its a cross between an uppercut and a hook, we call it a shovel hook.

Standard to the head from close range I tend to go again in an uppercut motion diagonally. I get more power this way, of course good form is to keep the elbow level, but I just do what I like tbh.

There is no right or wrong only what works, so just have fun with it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dabbled with this beer mug down method on the bag. After I strike, I had to leave it there a few times to make sure I was getting my hand turned over. It was different, that's for sure, and I'll keep playing with it and see how I like it.

tsd1592
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice is use americas martial art as and example. Boxing undoubtedly the best in the world with there hands. you want to learn to get the most out of a hook watch the way a pro boxer troughs it.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro boxers have huge pads over their hands. There is a hand injury named after boxers that happens when a boxer punches something without the gloves and has not learned how to compensate and adjust; they break their fingers.
Furthermore, it is well known that boxing is good with their hands, but the main part of that is the fact that they train their hands -more hours-, not that the training is inherently superior.
Also, boxing changed it's stance work and structure substantially after the introduction of competitors carrying huge padded shields on their hands; a modern boxing block is more vulnerable than an old fashioned boxers block (which was very similar to the old karate stancework with the hands in front of the body, if I recall correctly?) in some ways; it's less of a fence, and permeable.

tsd1592
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
Pro boxers have huge pads over their hands. There is a hand injury named after boxers that happens when a boxer punches something without the gloves and has not learned how to compensate and adjust; they break their fingers.
Furthermore, it is well known that boxing is good with their hands, but the main part of that is the fact that they train their hands -more hours-, not that the training is inherently superior.
Also, boxing changed it's stance work and structure substantially after the introduction of competitors carrying huge padded shields on their hands; a modern boxing block is more vulnerable than an old fashioned boxers block (which was very similar to the old karate stancework with the hands in front of the body, if I recall correctly?) in some ways; it's less of a fence, and permeable.
with or without pad you show me one pro fighter who has a hook as nice or as devastating as mike Tyson Bernard Hopkins the list goes on and on. Its not a question on who is the best fighter but what the best method of trowing a hook is. and last i checked tie guys use a big padded glove 2. Also yes there hand training is inherently Superior. strictly because they do log more man hours in trowing punches. Hince more time to perfect what thay do when you strictly train one aspect you tend to excel in it. Now thats not saying thay are the best fighters because that is not the case. But just like a boxer will not beet a karate fighter in a kicking match. No tie or karate fighter is going to beet a boxer in a boxing match. Y because there hands are not on the same level that means technique 2

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's just the problem - Tyson, Ali, Foreman, and Hopkins all use varying and different technique on the lead hook. Tyson throws a tight, almost a high shovel hook, Ali often kept his hands low, and brought his entire arm up into the "proper" position as he thre the strike. Foreman looks like he's throwing hooks with just his arms and very little body rotation at times, while Hopkins throws over the top sometimes. All of them throw with varying degrees of angles, power, and Tyson even threw palm down from time to time.

While Muay Thai fighters do have sizable gloves - even the same weight sometimes, the construction of a Thai glove seems to lead to to more pain in my opinion. Even if that's just in my head, MMA features a much lighter glove, and if you're ever forced to throw a punch in self defense, you'd be lucky to have as much as a pair of mittens. The big question here is: what's the best technique for an individuals specific use. If you want to throw a Mike Tyson-style hook at someone's temple full blast without gloves on, be my guest. However, I have the feeling that afterwards, most people would decide it probably wasn't the best technique for the situation.

Without boxing gloves, I think a sizable amount of boxers would be in trouble in regards to technique. I don't know that I'd lump many top-level professional boxers in that category, but I think the loss of face and hand protection would give a multitude of low to mid level boxers trouble against someone who trains without that benefit normally. The question is what, if anything, do we borrow from the way techniques are performed in various arts when we apply that technique to our particular needs.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After working the bag some more, I've found that beermug down feels better for my wrist. I also do think its a bit better when the range is a bit farther. I'll keep working with it.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96,

Found the same thing myself over the years. In close, thumb up/mug up seems to work a bit better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: