Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the upside down method more of a looping mexican hook.

I think the big difference in the hook is the way people use their hips from example the Kronk gym really go for double/triple hooks like my good friend Lance Lewis.

One of my coaches Jarrod old school british boxing would throw the hook really short without his elbow leaving his side and forearm very close to his chest. Perfect when you use head movement to get close and land that sort devastating shot!

I love watching the different style and the way people throw techniques!

SAAMAG
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: It varies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best hook punch you're doing to find, is the American Boxing hook. By far the quickest and strongest I've come across.

The fist positioning generally is done with the fist flat (meaning thumb towards YOU), but the longer hooks tend to be done with a vertical fist aiming with the fist whole or the primary first and second knuckles, however some still prefer to long hook with a flat fist.

Hooks to the body tend to be more vertical and diagonal based on the target.

The key to a good hook, is to let your body do the work and let the arm simply follow, but keeping your elbow down until the very last second.

-Musashi

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could definitely get to the bottom of this if we we're discussing it in person with full mugs of beer in our hands, in which case I'm fully in favor of beer mug up with the frequent tip toward the mouth.

That being said, close range I tend to go thumb toward my face (looking into the mug) and long range beer mug down. If you have mma gloves on and your looking to cut, beer mug up with a snap back toward your face on impact. It's a nasty technique but you see it a lot in the cage.
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: