Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

redbutt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Master Ohshima (a direct student of Funakoshi and Shihan of SKA), the story about the Typhoon is true.

As far as the stance being a good stance. If you have seen Master Ohshima demonstrate Kumite, you would see that when done properly, Kibbadachi is a GREAT stance for fighting. It is as moveable as it is strong.

It is a hard stance to master and takes someone with the years of experience that Master Ohshima has to demostrate it properly. And yes, as someone mentioned above, the returning wave kicks in Tekki Shodan are awesome ways to avaid a sweep then counter with a really devastating blow to the leg or foot.

[ This Message was edited by: redbutt on 2002-04-08 17:49 ]

KP
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody, This is a great subject. I'll keep it short pizza. I was told by Shorin ryu Master Rubbo from Y town Oh. in the 70s that the horse stance was used to develop your legs into powerful springs. enabling you to generate a fast and powerful punch. I saw him spring forward at incredable speed. I train with that in mind.

dafabe
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the horse stance is usefull for something, but not for fighting, nor is any fixed stance, It is only ignorance to think that you should adopt a spacific stance depending on the situation, you should change your stance yes, but to something that gives you the best advantage at that time. this may be something you have never done before. If some one adopted the horse stance when fighting me I would not be woried about them beating me, I is next to usless against a real fighter.

- Dave

dafabe
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am saying it Karate seems to have the idea that something you have learned will be best here, but you really need to learn more than just karate to become a good fighter.

- Dave

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horse stance definitely has it's pros and cons just as everyone has stated. However, I doubt that any well trained Martial Artist will simply drop into a horse stance while leaving themselves exposed.....

The horse stance can be empolyed at just about any angle, height, width. And as any well trained Martial Artist would do, they would not stay in that position for any length of time, since it's best to be in constant motion especially if your sparring, fighting, etc.

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of horse stance are you talking about?
If you mean the general stance where you are facing forward (your opponent) leaving your groin and inner thighs exposed, then i agree it would be foolish to use it in a fight. However, the Horse Stance (Shiko Dachi) for fighting (at least the way i have learned) is actually side-on to the opponent with your upper body twisted round slightly, one hand guarding the face and the other guarding the floating rib & thigh (Very much like nekoashi dachi). Effectively reducing the target area, protecting the groin and reducing the options on the solar plexus (mawashiGeri or some type of hook punch).

Maybe i am missing something, but i don't understand alot of the criticisms about this stance. It is quite a static stance with little lateral movement but as mentioned in other posts the length off the step-through allows you to spring forward very rapidly and gerenate alot of power.
It probably rules out alot of techniques and I think the only kick you could use is a Yoko Geri, but you can get alot of power on it.

Quote:
It is only ignorance to think that you should adopt a spacific stance depending on the situation, you should change your stance yes, but to something that gives you the best advantage at that time.

??????

Doesn't Karate/MA teach you to think on your feet and select the right stance and technique for the situation ??

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you know.

[ This Message was edited by: SeiDoRyu on 2002-04-15 15:55 ]

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horse stance it to build the guard. As in the ground postion. Funakoshi hid it in the Tekki kata for that reason. Shotokan and most karate don't foucs or teach on ground work but is not to say it is not there. Think of the horse stance as laying on your back with a person on top of you and it makes a LOT more sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that g95. Sometimes the idea that kata is just a place to start goes right in one ear and out the other.

The other thing is kata that has really grabbed me lately is kosa dachi. It could be hiding a turn to a different direction. Watch someone do a militairy about face. Then have them do it on 2 counts. Then stop on the first cound and bend the knees. what are they doing?

And are the kicks in the tekki's front kicks, crescent kicks, stomp kicks or something else? It is fascinating how many things a deceptively simple move can hide.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We teach it the first time as just a stand up kata. However once our students get to blackbelt we go back and breakdown each kata in more detail.

When we do Tekki as a groud D. kate we teach the wave kick as a kick to the kiddneys if a guy is on top of you. The kosh dachi as half guard. In other words he has one free leg.

All the arm moves can simulate head locks, chokes, breaks and cranks to the attacker on top of you. Just takes a little imagination.

There are many many moves in all kata that we ahve yet to find or realize Im sure.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-17 11:25 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I think in many ways one does not truly "learn" their martial art until you see applications within the forms that make them come alive for you.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: